Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player with wma extension

The latest XP update without anyones knowledge, we can not send any music that was ripped via WMP. It is blocked. I have tried 2 audio converters downloaded and both have problems. I need to convert from .wma to wav or MP3. I do graphics and send them via outlook express and include music. I can send my wav or mp3 only but most of mine is wma. Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player with wma extension
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player with wma extension
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't convert, re-rip

In reply to: Windows Media Player with wma extension

Microsoft tends to have a habit of sending cease and desist orders to anyone who makes a program that can do more than read any of their formats, so you won't find many out there that don't cost a pretty penny.

That being said, WMA is about the worst audio format I've ever heard. It can't handle the highs or the lows worth a crap. You'd be better off using a different program to re-rip all the files into MP3 (Ogg Voris is the best of the lossy codecs out there, too bad it suffers from lack of use). If you're going to use MP3 as the format of choice, it's hard to beat the LAME encoder in terms of audio quality in the resulting file. There are some freeware programs out there that use LAME as the encoding engine. Find one, use it, and don't send files like that via email. It just clogs up servers unnecessarily. Upload them to a free web server or something and let people download them from there.

Collapse -
Since we have CDEX, why use Windows Media Player?

Maybe no glitz, but CDEX does its job well.

Bob

Collapse -
license issue

this is a common problem. I think the computer that rips it into a wma format only has the license to play the file until you change the option in the windows media player.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!