Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player vs. iTunes -- need help with library

My question is about the folders in the library for iTunes. I have been using Windows Media Player 10.0 since it came out two years ago (because my husband bought me a Creative Zen Xtra and I didn't like Creative's software). As anyone who has used WMP knows, WMP saves music to a folder by Artist, then by Album. Even if there is a contributing artist on a particular song on that album.

My husband recently bought me an ipod, and I am having slight problems with iTunes. When I put my music in the iTunes library, I notice that the Artist files are all saved by Artist AND contributing artist. Thus, if I want to play all music by one artist, I can't because there are several artist folders for the artist I want to play. And that's the way it transfers to the player. If I want to play Alan Jackson, I've got ten Alan Jackson artist folders because he has duets with other artists one some of his albums. Thus, I'd have to select each of the Artist menus on the player one after another instead of being able to select the Alan Jackson artist menu item and listen to everything I have from him.

Before people respond with suggestions to my problem, let me say that I'm not exclusively using my ipod as an mp3 player. I also have a Creative player and a SanDisk. I don't exclusively use iTunes. This one reason alone is why I'm so concerned with my "library." I don't need a media organizer or player to put music on my other devices and I prefer to rip my music with WMP because I'm still very new to iTunes.

I've gotten responses from other forums about "why would I concern myself with a library when that's what iTunes is for?" and "people have gotten caught up in the craziness of having to use folders ... in the past." The response to these two statements is in the paragraph above. It's very important to me to have my music put into an Artist folder that has the Album folders inside. It's a right-click or drag-n-drop to put my music on my other devices. The ipod is the only one compatible with iTunes, and I recently had my library messed up because of a recent update with iTunes to my ipod.

Basically, what I want to know is this: Can I get iTunes to save my music by Album Artist and Album (like Windows Media Player does), instead of Artist/Contributing Artist and Album? I know all the iTunes/iPod people are going to be trashing me for asking this question - but like I said I'm not exclusive to iPod or iTunes. I just want to be able to save my music the way I've always done it (even if some people think that I'm a dinosaur or a moron for doing so).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player vs. iTunes -- need help with library
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player vs. iTunes -- need help with library
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this

In reply to: Windows Media Player vs. iTunes -- need help with library

ok try renaming the artists name to just that artist, such if it says Alan Jackson and some other artist, just rename it to Alan Jackson, that should fix the problem, and by the way great choice, alan jackson rules the country music industry.

Collapse -
iTunes Library

In reply to: Windows Media Player vs. iTunes -- need help with library

I may have misunderstood your problem but from what I think I understand, Smart Playlists may work for you.
All the music that you have in iTunes is in the Library. There is not a lot of organization to it, other than how your arrange the columns and how your sort the tracks.
If you create a Smart Playlist,(File/New Smart Playlist) you should be able to create a series of filters that does all that you want. Once this filter is set up, and you open that playlist, you will see only those tracks that conform to your specification.
So, tracks with Alan Jackson, playing with (enter name here), on albumname, recorded onthisdate, would appear in that Playlist.
When tracks are moved to the iPod, they go in the order that they are stored in iTunes. Simplest way to manage that is to create a Playlist for the iPod (Playlist for iPod will do) and drag your chosen tracks to it. Drag your newly created Smart Playlists in to the Playlist and all the tracks you have filtered will go to the iPod in the order that you have decided. You can tell iTunes to ONLY sync with the Playlist for iPod by going to preferences and changing the settings for the iPod. You can only do this when the iPod is connected.

Give this a try. If this is not what you are trying to do, I apologize for wasting your time

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.