General discussion

Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help

by alley / June 4, 2004 5:03 PM PDT

HP Pavillion 552w
Windows XP Home Edition
1.8 Intel Pentium 4 Processor
60 GB Hard Drive & 80 GB Hard Drive
Radeon 9700? Video

Windows Media Player v9 opens up immediately after bootup. I attempt to close it using the X or exit from drop down menu with no luck..it reopens. My only solution has been to minimize it to the taskbar, but it will not close. I have uninstalled it twice and rebooted, (Uninstalled it through the "remove Windows components in Control Panel/Add Remove programs)but its still there when I reboot and continues this behavior. Even though it is minimized...I get a green lettered message on the screen every few seconds that says "Play/Pause". I can do other things while this is going on...but this is extremely annoying and obviously slows down my computer. How can I get rid of the problem? I have tried everything I can think of. Don't know what to look for in the registry, etc. Have looked through all help websites to find solution with no luck. Haven't found another soul with the same problem. Any suggestions???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help
by Art / June 4, 2004 6:08 PM PDT

Did you check the "startup" folder in "program"?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help
by alley / June 6, 2004 6:38 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply Art. We deleted every instance we could find of Windows Media Player..manually thru programs, etc. and through Explorer...but it continues to reappear after reboot. We even tried to disable it using run/msconfig with no luck.

Collapse -
Re:Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help
by Jeff Ng / June 5, 2004 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows Media Player v9 won't shut down...Help
by alley / June 6, 2004 6:35 AM PDT

Thanks Jeff for your reply. AdAware found several problems and we fixed them...but Spybot Search & Destroy only scans about half way and freezes up. Still have the problem with the media player doing the same thing yet. Perhaps the media player running all the time...it won't allow the Spybot S&D to finish it's scan. It might be causing the freeze up on the spybot? Or maybe I need to redownload a fresh version of Spybot S&D?

Collapse -
Xp & Win media player 9
by Maymay53 / April 22, 2010 2:33 PM PDT

Well you have now, I have the same problem. It started with media player 11. wouldn't close, popped back up even blocking my other programs, even task manager. I couldn't get nothing elese to work and minimizing it only lasts a mere 3 seconds.

So I uninstalled 11 and its engine and rolled back to media player 9. It did the same crap. What do we do?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.