PC Applications forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player - Ripping CD Information

by tombauman / August 19, 2006 2:31 PM PDT

My brother has ripped at least 50 CD's to his desktop PC. In all cases the album name in MyMusic reads "Unknown" and the track names read "Track 01" etc.

He is using Windows Media Player 10 and is running Windows XP on a Dell computer.

He is NOT CONNECTED to the internet.

I have looked at the settings in Tools - Options and they look to be the same as mine. I am connected to the internet.

Is the CD or Album information on the CD or do I get it from the Internet? Am I missing some very simple setting somewhere? Is there a way to get the info to his files short of reloading?

Please helpme help him. He is an invalid and the music is his sole source of entertainment. He lives 200 miles from me so I need to go there next time knowing, or at least pretending that I know, what to do.

Thanks.

Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player - Ripping CD Information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player - Ripping CD Information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You/he need a connection. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 19, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

The CD information comes from various databases on the internet. WMP should prompt you/him when it loads to access the net. There is a name for that utility but I can't remember it, it's built into WMP.

In a nutshell, you have to have a net connection to get the CD information.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
(NT) Media Player
by tombauman / August 21, 2006 12:18 AM PDT

Wayne,

Thanks for the input. I was affraid that was the answer. Is there any workaround?

Tom

Collapse -
Rip on a machine with a connection, enjoy on the non connect
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2006 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Media Player

Rip elsewhere and enjoy elsewhere.

Bob

Collapse -
Ya know what. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 21, 2006 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Media Player

I believe if you take those songs to a connected machine and play them, WMP will add the information to the stored file. I think. And if so, just burn them to a CD and take back to the guy's PC.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!