PC Applications forum

General discussion

Windows media player/RealPlayer

by Jimrin1967 / November 5, 2005 1:47 AM PST

Do these applications save files viewed to the hard drive? If so, how do I wipe them without wiping the whole hard drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows media player/RealPlayer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows media player/RealPlayer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Browse help files
by Dick Humfrey / November 5, 2005 2:15 AM PST

This is a copy and paste from the Windows media player found using index method and looking for Delete

To delete links from your library
Click Library.
Right-click the link that you want to delete, and then click Delete.
If prompted, choose one of the following options:
Delete from library only. Deletes the link from your library but does not delete the linked item from your computer.
Delete from library and my computer. Deletes the link from your library and the item from your computer.
Note

You can delete several links at once. To select adjacent items, press and hold the SHIFT key while selecting. To select nonadjacent items, press and hold the CTRL key while selecting. Right-click the selected links, and then click Delete.

This similarly done from Real Player

Deleting Clips and Playlists
Because Media Clips are only shortcuts, you can freely delete clips and playlists from your RealPlayer media library without worrying about destroying any actual media files (unless you want that to happen). To permanently remove the associated media file from your computer, select Also delete files(s)... from the Delete Clips dialog when you delete a clip from My Library. (Not available when you delete clips from a playlist.).

Step-by-Step:

Delete Clips From My Library

Select View > My Library from the RealPlayer menus.

If necessary, click to return to the My Library Home.

Find and select the clip(s) you wish to delete.

Select Delete from the Edit menu or press <DELETE> on your keyboard. The Delete Clips dialog will appear.

Click Delete to confirm deletion.

Note: If you select the Also delete files(s) option, RealPlayer will permanently remove the associated media file from your computer.

Delete Playlists or AutoPlaylist

Select View > My Library from the RealPlayer menus.

If necessary, click to return to the My Library Home.

Select Playlist or AutoPlaylist from the list of categories in My Library.

Select a Playlist (or AutoPlaylist) from the available playlists.

Select Delete from the Edit menu or press <DELETE> on your keyboard. The Confirm Delete dialog will open.

Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

Collapse -
Did that
by Jimrin1967 / November 5, 2005 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Browse help files

I did delete links in that manner. I mean does it keep things the way the computer stores every image that comes across your screen on a web page. Is there a "deeper cleaning" that needs to be done; or is that it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.