Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player Problems

by Twinsfan / October 29, 2004 1:37 PM PDT

I have a problem when I go to full screen. The screen is full but I only see about 2/3 of the video.It is like the picture got streched This only happens in the full screen mode. I think the settings got changed but I can't get them back. I'm running Windows ME and it happens in all video players.Please any help I would be greatfull.Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Media Player Problems
by AussiePete / October 30, 2004 12:57 AM PDT

run the directX diagnostics program and see what it comes up with. You should be able to find it in the windows\systems32 directory (dxdiag.exe)
Also make sure u have the latest dx drivers
Also check your graphics card and monitor drivers/hardware are functioning ok in "device manager" and perhaps look for driver updates.
Check your monitor if u can on another computer to see if it does the same thing - if so it maybe faulty.
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Windows Media Player Problems
by Twinsfan / October 30, 2004 1:08 PM PDT

Hey AussiePete. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I tried everyone of them still no luck. I really think I messed up the settings some way. Maybe I changed the overlays or the hardware acceleration,or the decoder filters.Does anyone know how they should be set up. I will try anything. Thanks for your help before. Do you have any other ideas for me? Anyone have any suggestions?

Collapse -
Windows Media Player solution
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 12:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Windows Media Player solution
by Twinsfan / October 31, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. I used media player classic to view 2 videos. The first one went fine the second one has the same problem as all the other players. I then viewed the first video again and the problem is there also. What am I doing wrong? It's not a big deal but it's very frustrating. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
We have to know the encoding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 1:42 AM PDT

Even MPC will not play ALL video content. I have this one video that required "Global DiVX Player" and nothing else would play it.

Welcome to video playback la-la land.

Bob

PS. You are not doing anything wrong that I know of.

Collapse -
Re: We have to know the encoding.
by Twinsfan / October 31, 2004 2:06 AM PST

Thanks again Bob. The problem I have not stated before is that every single one of the videos worked in the full screen mode sometime in the past couple of months.Would it be wise to uninstall all the players and then reinstall them?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 2:36 AM PST

You can try it, but Microsoft has updated many tiny pieces of WMP and now I see this issue more than before. To fix it, I use other players.

Bob

Collapse -
by Twinsfan / October 31, 2004 4:19 AM PST

Bob thanks for all the info, I got one more thing. I emailed a freind and she said that my player might be stuck in Cinema Mode. She had no info on how to get it out of Cinema Mode any thoughts on this?
Mike

Collapse -
Sorry, one last tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 5:26 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!