Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player problems

by stonehkm / January 30, 2009 5:57 PM PST

I am running Windows 7 and after a second install Media Player does not have full functionality. Under tools, many areas are grayed out and there is no rip tab.
I can set it to rip when a CD is played, but all my attemps so far have failed.
I am ripping bought and paid for CDs and getting nowhere. I always listen to my music through Media Player/Center and did not have this problem with Vista.
It appears to me as though Media Player has only limited functionality in the beta.
Any comments?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Media Player wont add(or show) my musics
by sergiorejtman / March 1, 2009 12:42 AM PST

Yesterday I was normally using my media player, and listening to my musics, than today I tried to open my WMP and when I go to library-music-all music it just shows me the following message:
There are no items in this library yet - the Player is seraching for digital media files in the background

And I tried everything, like removing and adding again my music folders in the Manage Library options,I tried restarting my computer closing and opening again media player. I also checked that all my music was still there, I looked for it and everyhting was there, I also tried to play with Itunes, and I was able to.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks

PS:Obviusly I am using Windows 7

Collapse -
Ripping cd
by Jonmor68 / March 1, 2009 7:40 AM PST

It looks as if it's still a work in progress.
I just tried it out by inserting cd and clicking on rip cd, it only ripped 5 out of 15 tracks, all were named but no album art.
Tried 2 other cd's it couldn't identify them.
I deleted the first rip because it wouldn't rip the remainder, kept saying cd already ripped.
This time I opened media player first, ticked the box for all tracks on the cd that was identified and it ripped them correctly, minus album art.
All menu items were available, ripping options for wma & mp3.
It looks as if it's a bit of hit and miss at the moment.
There was a patch for WMP but it hasn't cured all.

Collapse -
I use Itunes for music and media player
by orlbuckeye / March 11, 2009 5:23 AM PDT

for videos and I haven't had any issues with either.

Collapse -
Re: I use iTunes for music etc.
by stonehkm / March 11, 2009 5:32 AM PDT

I think the idea on this particulat Windows 7 forum is to get everything working that comes with it.
iTunes is just a work around and avoids the current problems with WMP completely:)

Collapse -
I didn't use Media Player
by orlbuckeye / March 12, 2009 12:21 AM PDT

when I had XP at least for sound files. I installed Itunes not for problems with media player but because I like it better and had been using it. Like is said I do use Media Player for videos but that's all. My idea for testing is use Windows 7 is testing it the way I want to use it.

Collapse -
WMP
by Renowden / June 5, 2010 9:10 AM PDT

I tried to use I-player but it says it doesn't recongize the file.
Winamp can find and play the music but cannot identify anything.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!