PC Applications forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player - Not Playing Videos

by WindowsMediaHelp / May 23, 2007 8:00 PM PDT

Hello. My hard drive recently got corrupted and I had to install WP XP Home, instead of XP Professional that I had previously. After installation and downloading WMP, I was unable to play any MPEG files that previously worked. WMP gives me the following error - C00D11B1. Even the files thumbnails dont look the same. However, the MPEGs work fine when I play them in Quicktime and even ITunes etc. I downloaded/bought a plug-in from the WMP website which I think gives me MPEG-2 decoder/DVD software etc which I thought was an issue. Dont think it helped though I now have more software on my computer! Susequently, I learnt that my Sony digital camera is in the MPEG-1 format while the MPEG-2 is usually for DVDs etc. I would like to view these videos in my Picasa album as I had done previously, and also be able to upload them to Picasa online.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player - Not Playing Videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player - Not Playing Videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's what you need to do. Not a direct answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2007 9:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks. Will look into it.
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 23, 2007 9:50 PM PDT

Bob - firstly, thanks for the reply. Once I get home from work, I will give it a shot and provide more detail if need be.

I bought the InterVideo DVD XPack which seems to give me a MPEG2 codec. Think I had downloaded DIVX as well.

Will download the last link you mention to see codec required (its a .mpg file from my Sony Digital Camera).

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Too bad you didn't tell about that Sony.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2007 10:01 PM PDT

Such details could have helped me find the direct answer rather than be vague.

-> I know this one. The codec was on the CD from Sony that came with the camcorder.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 23, 2007 10:07 PM PDT

Will definitely check it out when i get home.

Collapse -
No suck luck
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 24, 2007 4:33 AM PDT

Bob,

I did what you recommended. A few things:

1) The CD that came with my Sony digital camera (not camcorder) had software to view the photos which I uploaded. Videos did not work though.

2) I downloaded Gspot and when i checked my .MPG file it said that MPEG-1 codecs were installed.

3) The MPEGs are playing fine as usual in Quicktime and Itunes.

Please help!! Frustrated after I thought this was going to work!

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: DIVX also
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 24, 2007 4:41 AM PDT

Also, when I open DivX Player, and attempt to play the files, it fails to do so stating "This file cannot be opened. This file does not appear to contain a Video track". Just thought I'd let you know about this as well.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Stumper. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: DIVX also

You have not followed the forum note about telling details. This many posts and no model number to see what can be going on.

Sometimes it's just a matter of installing Sony's software. Other times it's like we read at http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc1de39

Bob

Collapse -
Details
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 24, 2007 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Stumper. Why?

Apologies as I am definitely a novice on this. Details are as follows:

1) Digital Camera: Sony DSC-T30
2) Laptop: IBM T42
3) O/S: XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
4) File type that is giving error: ".MPG" generated from Sony Camera listed above.
5) Windows Media Player Version 11

Please let me know if there is any other information you need.

Collapse -
It's not any MPEG we know of. More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

"MPEG-EX. Motion JPEG movie file created by Sony cameras. This was the first motion video recording sequence mode that was limited in length only by the amount of available storage space.

MPEG-HQX. Motion JPEG movie file created by Sony in 2002, whose cameras incorporate the MPEG-HQ (high quality, full-screen) and the unlimited recording capability of MPEG-EX in 320x240 resolution.

MPEG-VX. Motion JPEG movie file created by Sony digicams in 2003. Its VGA resolution (640x480) at 16fps with audio and the length is limited only by available storage space. VX Fine is 30fps or very high quality. "
http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-dictionary.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_dictionary.html

Now that we know more about this video (it's muxed MPEG etc...) try http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MPEG_Streamclip.htm and install the support software there (QuickTime.)

Bob

Collapse -
Quicktime VS. Windows MEdia Player
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 24, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

Bob,

Thanks again for dealing with this mundane issue. I sincerely appreciate all the help.

I will go ahead and download the software you indicate below, but just wanted to highlight that the files currently play fine in QuickTime - the issue is playing them in Windows Media Player. Just wanted to make sure I highlighted that.

Collapse -
BTW. If you told that earlier...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

I could have saved a few steps as well as addressed the issue more directly.

Let's be clear that not all QuickTime content plays in WMP. Even moreso if you install WMP 11.

Bob

Collapse -
In Summary
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 24, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

Apologize for the confusion and will briefly summarize-
1) Currently all video files (.mpg files taken from my Sony DSC T-30) do not play in Windows Media Player 11 and dont seem to be recognized as video files, giving me the error stated in my first message.
2) These same files open and play fine in QuickTime and even ITunes.
3) Reason I need it to work in WMP 11, is coz Picasa doesnt open videos unless they work in WMP and thus I am unable to upload them to Picasa Web.
4) MP3's play fine in WMP 11, it is only the video files that give an error
5) This happened after I got a new hard drive and installed XP Home, while the previous installation was XP professional as it was a laptop from work from my previous employer. Before the hard drive crashed, things were fine and WMP played the same files.

Collapse -
WMP 11 brick wall problem. Or windshield?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: In Summary

I'm extremely sorry to read that you installed WMP 11. This means you need a CODEC for the content from SONY since it's their PROPRIETARY encoding. WMP 11 implemented a raft of DRM and broke codecs.

Let me be very clear that I have now hit the end of the road on this issue since it's WMP 11 that means it's back to Sony's court.

-> OR!!! you convert it to something standard.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you....
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 24, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

...for all the help. It was appreciated.

Collapse -
Solution
by WindowsMediaHelp / May 28, 2007 4:46 PM PDT

FYI....got the answer on another board and I just thought I would let you know -- it was apparantly the Samsung PC Studio 3 software that comes with its phones - once I unistalled this it was smooth sailing.

Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
Thank you for posting back your solution... you saved me.
by bparks64 / June 12, 2007 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution

Thank... you .... so .... much! I have been battling this problem for the last 48 hours and determined to fix it. That piece of crap Samsung software!... aaaarrrrrggghhh. I removed it and it all works fine now.

Collapse -
:-)

Am glad Happy I can totally understand what a frustrating experience it was!!!

Collapse -
SAME ISSUE? Codec that will play SONY m2u****.mpg file in WM
by terrysim / April 20, 2008 12:16 PM PDT

I have read this thread and may be in a similar situation, but wondering if there is a downloadable codec for WMP10 that will work with Sony mpeg2 files.

Story: My wife hit a "bad" button on her SONY DCR-SR200 HDD camcorder. The camcorder can no longer see the video files, altho the incamera disk utility shows that the HD is 3/4 of 40gb full. 4 new files (recorded right after she hit the button) do show up, dated Jan 1, 1972. When I hook the camcorder to the computer via USB cable, I can see the files via Windows explorer--all have had their dates set 30 years in the future (2037 & 2038). I CANNOT see the 4 files recorded anew (jan 1972). Anyway, I have copied all of these files (filename format example: M2U00240.MPG) to a firewire drive. I can hear them in WMP10, but I cannot see them. It will not play them. The software provided by SONY for playing and organizing clips will not import from this firewire drive, only from the camcorder HD (or a CD).

BTW, I tried simply re-dating the files on the camcorder, but they still do not show up in it.

Hardware/software: Dell laptop Inspiron E1505 duocore 1.6mHz, 1 gb RAM, running XP Home, WMPlayer 10.00.00.4058. Sony HD Handycam Utility.
Thank you for any help. Terry

Collapse -
Play m2u in wmp

Download and install ffdshow . Try XP Codec pack also. Either of them will work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?