Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player-- HELP!!!

by granpama / March 28, 2006 3:03 AM PST

I tried to open an email containing a video and a window came up with this message:
"The file wmp.dll has a version number of 10.0.0.3990 where 10.0.0.3802 was expected.
Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.
Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?
Yes No"
I clicked "Yes" & proceeded to download as per their instructions. I received a message that the download was successful, but when I tried to open the email, I got the same message. I attempted to download again, to no avail. I am using Windows XP
Any help would be greatly appreciated. granpama

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player-- HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player-- HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need to know...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 3:33 AM PST

If you read your email message they wanted you to downgrade WMP to an older and ... exploitable version.

That's a bad thing.

As such it's time to delete this email.

Bob

Collapse -
The first thing...
by SIRKGM14vg / March 28, 2006 3:36 AM PST

The first thing you need to ask yourself, is do you know who sent you this video? Was the e-mail sent directly to you? If those two things aren't right, then you should hold off on clicking this in the future.

If Windows Media Player is still functioning correctly, then you should be ok. If not, uninstall WMP, and then reinstall it by downloading the software from Microsoft's Website.

Collapse -
Windows Media Player
by granpama / March 28, 2006 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: The first thing...

Thank you for your reply. As a newbee, how do I uninstall & reinstall?
Thank you again, granpama

Collapse -
First thing first
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Media Player

Granpama is Windows Media Player working properly?

If so there is no need to uninstall then re-install, but as has already been said, I would not try and watch that video file again.

If it is from a relative or a friend, ie a trusted source, ask them to check their copy and re-send it. When it arrives, check it for viruses first. You should do this with all email attachments anyway.

To check for viruses, right click the attachment and select "Save as", and save it to a temporary area, (your Desktop is a good temporary area). Then right click the saved file and select "Scan with xxxxxx" where xxxxx is your anti-virus program.

If the attachment is from someone you don't know, I would simply delete the whole email.

Mark

Collapse -
window media player
by Happy40guy / March 30, 2006 3:17 AM PST

wmp sometime don't work hv to restart but for a while not working again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.