How To forum

Question

Windows media player burns songs twice

I have a Gateway laptop, Windows 7 with Windows Media Player. The first time I use WMP to burn a data disc, I move 4 files each containing 25 songs and burned. All goes well. When I try to make an identical data disc, all the songs burned twice. The songs came out as file 1,2,3,4,1,2,4,3. I try to burn a completely different data disc using a single file of 279 songs amounting to 660 mb's. When the burn completes, I have all 279 songs burned....twice.
So the questions are: 1) Why did WMP burn the first 4 files(100 songs) twice and 2) how does 279 songs/660 mb's get burned twice on a 700 mb disc?
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks, Bobby

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows media player burns songs twice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows media player burns songs twice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: burning

In reply to: Windows media player burns songs twice

What program did you use to look at the contents of the disk? I doubt if Windows Explorer would report 1320 MB on a 700 MB disk. And what program would know better than Explorer. Certainly not Media Player.

Kees

Collapse -
WMP burns songs twice

In reply to: Re: burning

When I finished burning the second data disk of 279 songs/660 mbs, i put the disk back Windows Media Player and all 558 songs were listed. When I clicked through 279 songs, 280 was song number 1, 281 was song 2 etc, etc. The main problem is that all the songs were burned twice and I can't seem to get an explanation or a corrective measure. Any idea how to solve this problem?
thanks, Bobby

Collapse -
Re: burned

In reply to: WMP burns songs twice

I still think they are only burned once. Only shown twice.
- Look at the disk with Windows Explorer.
- Look at the disk with Windows Media Player on another PC.
What do you see?

Kees

Collapse -
WMP burns songs twice

In reply to: Re: burned

Hello Kees,
Thank you for your response. I think you may be correct. I contacted the person I gave the CDs to and she told me that it is only showing once in her WMP player. I will not see her until Tuesday and I plan on taking the CDs back and checking them on my system. I will keep you informed. Assuming that you are correct, any idea why WMP would show the songs twice? If you go back to my original letter, the first time everything went well. The second time burning the same project showed twice. The first time I burned the 279/660 mb's it showed twice immediately?
I'll get the disks on Tuesday, check them on Wednesday and get back to you.
Thanks, Bobby

Collapse -
WMP burns songs twice

In reply to: Re: burned

Hello Kees,Just a follow up to the wmp burning 2x.
You were correct. I looked at both disks in Windows Explorer and found that there was only 100 songs on the 100 song disc and 279 on the 279 disk. When I put the disk back into WMP, on my sisters computer, it showed only 100 on the 100 disk BUT showed 558 on the 279 disk.

Still haven't gotten an answer from anyone as to what could be causing this in WMP.
Many people have viewed this question on several different support sights including Windows forums, but no resolve. Someone had suggested completely removing WMP, checking for all updates and reloading. Might knock out whatever little bug is causing the double listing within the player.
If you think of anything, let me know.
Thanks, bobby

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.