PC Applications forum

General discussion

windows media player avi and mpg

why do avi files play out of sync the video seems to play slow.aso mpg files play in the wrong size like if u play a mpg file in the windows media player just in a normal size u will only see a bit of the video. Its as if u are still in fullscreen in the background and u can see it through the normal sized window.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows media player avi and mpg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows media player avi and mpg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 ideas.

In reply to: windows media player avi and mpg

1. The video is indeed messed up.
2. The is a bad or missing codec.

To test for item 2, play it with VLCPLAYER.

Bob

Collapse -
tryed vlc player

In reply to: 2 ideas.

i tryed the vlc player avi files played in sync. but when i tryed to play mpg files it does the same thing nero does its all split screen and green coloured this is the same for dvds to. im pretty sure its something to do with nero i used to have nero 7 but i unistalled it beacuse of this problem cause it was fine when i had nero 6. i unistalled nero 7 but i had trouble unistalling it so i had to try and get rid of bits of it manuallly but theres still traces of it left. i installed nero 6 but i still got this problem.

Collapse -
If Vlcplayer flubs then it's a bizarre encoding or

In reply to: tryed vlc player

Corrupted file. Research CODECs on google.com to learn more about those. Vlcplayer has all the common codecs inside itself so it's my test to find out if the file is good or badly encoded/corrupt.

You're on the right track now.

Bob

Collapse -
yeah but

In reply to: If Vlcplayer flubs then it's a bizarre encoding or

i know what your saying but if dvds do the same then there must be something that causeing it to happen like codecs clashing or something

Collapse -
What are you playing the DVD with?

In reply to: yeah but

VLCPlayer can play some DVDs so if that works then you know to uninstall the DVD player software and reinstall that.

Nero, Roxio and such didn't come with decent DVD player software so don't look there.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.