General discussion

Windows Media Player 9 problems with XP

I am having a problem with WMP 9. I have XP with service pack 2. I can receive the audio through WMP 9 but the picture is in funky colors. I can see people moving but it is not clear. I turned off the installed windows firewall and use Mcafee's firewall and virus protection. Doing some research, it appears I need to disable the firewall. I have disabled both firewalls just to see if it would work and it hasn't. Any solutions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Media Player 9 problems with XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Media Player 9 problems with XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you thought about upgrading to Media Player 10?

It might fix your problems.

- Collapse -
Video codec update?

I would think that if a firewall was a problem, it would keep you from getting any audio or video at all, not give you a partial or corrupt data stream.

When you say "funky" colors, is it mostly green by chance? I had a DivX video file once that gave me mostly green video. After I installed the latest DivX codec, it played fine. IAC, if you can find out what video format the file is in, you might see if there is an updated codec available for that format. Worth a shot.

James

CNET Forums

Forum Info