Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player 11 Freezes on Windows XP

WMP 11 often causes my PC to freeze simply by attempting to open it. When it does open, 75% of the time, it will stall and then freeze. My machine is a one year old Compaq Presario V4000 laptop, Pentium M 730, 80 GB 4200 HD, Intel Graphics Pentium 900. My OS is Windows XP/ Home. I use IE7 And I'm left handed. Any advice? ~ toc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player 11 Freezes on Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player 11 Freezes on Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Uninstalling WMP 11 And...??

In reply to: Windows Media Player 11 Freezes on Windows XP

...reverting back to WMP 10? Or simply uninstalling, then reinstalling WMP 11? Other members here seem to report similar issues with WMP 11 as well. Likewise, IE7 can cause issues with a variety of programs if the computer isn't free and clear of all junk files.

Have you tried updating all your audio and video drivers?

Although you reported it, I don't think being left handed is the source of the issue? (Just kidding.)

In the meantime, because a number of things can cause programs to freeze, including malware and corrupted files, please click on the link below and follow ALL of the steps to clean out your computer. It may take a while to perform all the steps, but it should help.

Cleanup Things To Do

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
problematic WMP 11

In reply to: Tried Uninstalling WMP 11 And...??

you said: Hope this helps.

The quick response is greatly appreciated. I'll follow your suggestions. And it's nice to see you didn't overlook the fact that I'm left handed. And I do know that's not a factor. Why do I know? Because my laptop was specially designed by HP with a mirror image keyboard. Cost a bit, but hey, what the hell? Thanks again!

Collapse -
Media player 11 Freezes on Start: Resolved

In reply to: problematic WMP 11

How I fixed:Media player 11. On XP. Apparently freezes on start. After long delay opens into Library.
Upgrade from 9 - 11 seems to have left some library files behing. This causes a read delay, untill the player has chosen which versions to use as the default.

1st part

Make your xp system show "all files and folder"
For the novice-
Double click "my computer"
Click "Tools/Folder options"
Click "view"
Now click in the little circle next to the line.
"show hidden files and folder"
click "apply"
Now close all windows from the desktop.

2nd part

Double click "my Computer"
------"-----"C:" drive
------"-----"Documents and settings"
------"-----"your user name folder"
------"-----"Application Data"
------"-----"Microsoft"
------"-----"Media Player"

I then selected all the files in there and deleted them.
I then did the "1st part" in reverse, to "re-hide" the system files.

Rebooted the pc. And presto! Started Media player 11, no lag or delay. I think its worth noting that i have my player set not to look on the internet for updates etc

Open Media player
Click : Tools/options/Library (everything unchecked and "apply")

And also on the same screen.

"Privacy settings" (everything unchecked and "apply")

Im not saying this is the correct fix for your Media Player 11 running on XP. But its sure worked for me. I had this problem before, so i uninstlled 11. When SP3 was released I thought hey would have sussed this one. It seems not. I got my clue from a "Skype tech support guy" when i was having problem with the application. He told me to do similiar for that app because of an "i.d" problem. When you delete the file and restart the prog, a new I.D. file gets written. Eliminating any file I.D confusion.

Well. Hope this was worth the time writing for someone. Remember to back up any mucic+photos in your libraries. You should do this anyway.

regards all

jb

Collapse -
Media player 11 Freezes on Start: Resolved

In reply to: Media player 11 Freezes on Start: Resolved

jb

I had the same problem. Your solution worked for me.
Thanks for posting it.

Peter

Collapse -
mines doing this also...

but i got a HP Compaq NX6325 notebook with 80GB HDD, AMD Turion64, IE8 but mainly use Google Chrome(latest version) and OS is WIN XP

Collapse -
Windows Media Player 11 Freezes

Dear Computer Newbies Forum,

Every time I start up Windows Media Player 11, an hour glass appears and stays there for at least 5 minutes. Then, when I get to the music list I want to play, the music plays, then stops, then plays, then stops, etc.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, Intel(R), Pentium(R) 4CPU, and 3.00 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM running on Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, and Service Pack 3.

The capacity of Drive C: /is 74.4,GB, with free space of 55.1GB. The capacity of the external Drive is 930 GB, with free space of 861 GB, where music files occupy 31.1 GB

Most of the computer files run fast, except for the Windows Media Player 11.

If you can help me out with this problem, I would appreciate it very much.

Sincerely,
Dennis Jones

Collapse -
And Does Another Media Player Work Fine?

In reply to: Windows Media Player 11 Freezes

Tried something like VLC Player, WinAmp, or RealPlayer to play those same files? What happens?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
wmp

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!