General discussion

Windows Media Player 11 crash and quartz.dll

In Windows Media Player 10, whenever I used the thumbnail version of the File Library for my videos, it would crash. I overcame this problem by only displaying files in a "details" format instead of thumbnails. However, I upgraded to WMP11, and before I can change the view to "details" for videos, it freezes and crashes. The windows report says the problem is with quartz.dll and I would finally like to try to get it resolved.

I should mention also, that when I want to preview .avi videos (view video thumbnails) in other players, like Shareaza's player, the same thing happens. Even in MS Windows Explorer, when I use the thumbnail view on pages with .avi files, it crashes within milliseconds.

I have an AMD 3500+ Athlon 64-bit processor, nVidia 6800 GT card with 512MB ram, 1GB OCZ Platinum RAM (2x 512MB), 2x 500GB Samsung spinmaster harddrives with >20GB free space on each, running Windows XP.

Anyone have any ideas?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Media Player 11 crash and quartz.dll
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Media Player 11 crash and quartz.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a known bug.

"Even in MS Windows Explorer, when I use the thumbnail view on pages with .avi files, it crashes within milliseconds."

It means the encoding of the .AVI file or the codec used is not compatible with Microsoft's code. I've talked to softies about this and the response is "don't do that". There is a way to unregister the dll that shows the avi thumbnails in explorer but that's a poor excuse of a fix.

-> Yes. Call it a bug or limitation. Microsoft seems adament about not fixing this.

Bob

- Collapse -
Another possible reason for the crashes.

AVI's have an index file at the end of the movie file. The movie cannot run without the index being complete.

If you have incomplete avi files in a folder, (eg from a P2P download, etc), and try to preview them in Explorer, that could cause the crash.

Mark

- Collapse -
codec updates fixed the problem for me

Hello everyone.

I fixed this problem by installing XviD 1.1.2 and DivX 6.4 and reinstalling. First, I set the view options to Details in another folder, then told Windows XP to apply that setting to all folders. That way I could see the folders without crashing. Then I installed those two codecs from the latest builds. Then one by one switched my folders back to Thumbnails. I was able to rebuild thumbnails without crashing.
And now, ladies and germs, it's time to watch some XviD, and you know what that means. Wink

- Collapse -
This is from www.wmplugins.com-Most Popular Plug-ins

DFX - Audio Enhancement
XVid Codec
G-Force
Divx 5.0 the other person had a later one
MP3 Remix
Divx Codec
Divx 3.0
Nero Fast CD-Burning Plug-in
Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP
Voxware Meta Sound

- Collapse -
.avi crashing

"If you single click a file to select it (not open it) and your system errors out or crashes, it indicates a damaged shell extension. In your case, the .avi extension.
Download the zipped version if ShellExView here near the bottom of the page. It has no installer.
Extract the files and run "shexview.exe". The list may need a second or two to populate.
Next to the extension names under the "disabled" category, they would normally all say "no".
Scroll down the list to "Video Thumbnail Extractor", right click and select "Disable Selected Items".
At the prompt, select "Yes", close the app and see if it now crashes. If it still does, repeat the procedure for "AVI Property Handlers" and disable it. Don't worry about changing anything permanently, just use the program to re-enable.
Of course, you'll want to be booted in to XP before you do this.
Let us know the results, we are not done yet."
-HitSquad

He should have posted the news, IT WORKED!!

I've been all over the place searching for a fix, most requiring registry operating

This worked, I just disabled the video thumbnail extractor and poof, no system crashing.

However this seems like a temporary fix...a bandaid. How and Why exactly my computer started crashing in the first place are my major concern. I was using "Advanced Windows Optimizer" to clean out a lot of junk on my computer, lo and behold afterwards this problem arises. My computer was unable to restore itself to any previous time so I was stuck with this dilemma.

It would still play the video file but a "send, or don't send" error would pop up and then the desktop would reboot even before I actually opened the file. Only for .avi.... When I switched the file display to details only I could open the file containing an .avi without the error popping up. Otherwise just being in the folder with "thumbnail" view would set it off. Sometimes an additional Dr. Watson Debugger "send, don't send" would arise. It was mentioned on pctools.com and cnet.com forums that one should try disabling Dr. Watson in the registry, but this didn't solve anything. Also tried reinstalling Divx and Xvid and their codecs. Nothing.

Many have tried restoring their computers, some with my situation and some with success. Others have reinstalled XP. Most of the senior members of the other boards recognized the problem but stated that there really wasn't an answer, just shots in the dark. It was a glitch that hadn't been worked out.

Thank you so much and if you have any further suggestions that would not require me turning the Thumbnail Extractor off... a suggestion that would get to the root of the problem then I'm all ears

Warm Regards,
Satyr

CNET Forums