Laptops forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player 10 Won't Burn

by pjpendleton / June 24, 2006 3:31 PM PDT

I have an interesting dilemma:

I wanted to burn some songs to a blank CD tonight (first time I've done it in almost a month or so). I was using Windows Media Player 10. When I clicked the ''Burn'' button, I got a pop-up box with an icon for a media player on it that said:

''Interface not registered.''

I figured there was something screwy with my current version of WMP and concluded that it might need a software update. So I clicked Help > Check for Player Updates and I got this message box:

''A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already running on your computer. Setup cannot continue.''

That of course threw me for a minor loop because I didn't understand what it meant. I searched Google, Webopedia and Answers.com and I couldn't come up with a suitable solution.
My computer is a Dell XPS M140 with an Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player 10 Won't Burn
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player 10 Won't Burn
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was there more to the message? Such as..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

"Failed to save package file" and some code number.

Don't skimp on those details.

Here's a wild shot given I may not have all the details, but is safe. Register the following files.

Try registering MSXML:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml6.dll

Bob

Collapse -
No More To The Message
by pjpendleton / June 25, 2006 2:12 AM PDT

I posted all the details that were available. I don't understand what you mean by "register" the following files. How do I register them? Sorry if that sounds like a noob question. Most of what I understand and know about computers I've learned through trial and error.

Collapse -
Open a CMD window, type such in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2006 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: No More To The Message

Start, Run, CMD, press enter then use those commands.

There are likely more clues in the EVENT VIEWER. Since we have google.com and Start, Help I don't describe the event viewer.

WMP 10 seems to have a lot of issues if you read the forums. Most common is other software such as Roxio, Nero, other. Not much in your post if you have such. Try without it.

More clues would help.

Bob

Collapse -
Is This The Problem?
by pjpendleton / June 25, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

I opened Command Prompt and typed in the following:

''regsvr32 msxml3.dll''

Then I pressed enter. I received an alert box from RegSvr32 that said:

''DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll succeeded.''

I then tried to burn a cd and got the same pop-up I got before I posted my problem:

After that I typed the following into the Command Prompt window:

''regsvr32 msxml6.dll''

And I got an alert box from RegSvr32 with this:

''LoadLibrary(''msxml6'')failed - The specified module could not be found.''

Is that why I'm having a problem? If so, how do I correct this. At this point the issue is still unresolved.

In response to your question about the media software I have/use, I have Roxio but I don't use it. I do not have Nero. I have Musicmatch Jukebox but the first time I used it was when WMP10 started acting up. I have RealPlayer but I only use it to play Quicktime videos. I also have Quicktime but I only have it for any programs that need it. In addition to all of that, I subscribe to Napster. I had Sonic Cineplayer but I didn't like it so I recently deleted it. (Hmm... I wonder if that has anything to do with the problems I'm having). Before I deleted Cineplayer I purchased, downloaded and installed WinDVD 7. And of course, since my OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition, I have Media Center which I barely ever use because it sucks worse than Cineplayer did.

If additional information is required please let me know. Thank you guys for your assistance thus far.

Collapse -
That's good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2006 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Is This The Problem?

Not all machines will have both files so it's fine that one didn't work. You did fine.

"I have Roxio but I don't use it"...

That's a great clue. Roxio's DIRECTCD or such program is known to clash with WMP. The only fix I've found is to uninstall Roxio completely. Hopefully this will help.

In closing, WMP is a hit and miss product. I rarely use it myself and use other software rather than be disappointed.

Bob

Collapse -
Feels Like I'm Making Progress...
by pjpendleton / June 25, 2006 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: That's good to read.

I will try uninstalling Roxio and let you know if that resolved the problem.

As problematic as I've heard WMP can be, I've rarely had a problem with it. The thing that gets me the most though is that I can't seem to uninstall it. If I could take it out and reinstall it from scratch, I think that would resolve everything. Any ideas why I can't uninstall it? Anyway, if this works, then I'll be satisfied.

Thank you again for your feedback and assistance.

Collapse -
Uh Oh...
by pjpendleton / June 25, 2006 2:35 PM PDT

Bob,

It turns out that I don't have Roxio's DIRECTCD on my system. The only programs I have from Roxio are:

Roxio Creator Home
Roxio MyDVD LE
Roxio RecordNow Audio
Roxio RecordNow Copy
Roxio RecordNow Data

Although I haven't used it yet I may want to do some DVD burning at some point so I don't want to get rid of MyDVD. Would removing any of the rest of it help?

Shadow

Collapse -
I Can't Believe I Forgot This...
by pjpendleton / June 26, 2006 1:32 PM PDT

Quoted from an earlier post I made:

"In response to your question about the media software I have/use, I have Roxio but I don't use it. I do not have Nero. I have Musicmatch Jukebox but the first time I used it was when WMP10 started acting up. I have RealPlayer but I only use it to play Quicktime videos. I also have Quicktime but I only have it for any programs that need it. In addition to all of that, I subscribe to Napster. I had Sonic Cineplayer but I didn't like it so I recently deleted it. (Hmm... I wonder if that has anything to do with the problems I'm having). Before I deleted Cineplayer I purchased, downloaded and installed WinDVD 7. And of course, since my OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition, I have Media Center which I barely ever use because it sucks worse than Cineplayer did."

The one significant piece of software I forgot to mention is Creative MediaSource Organizer and Player.

I use it to sync music between my laptop and my Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen NX. I bring this up because I mentioned in my original post that the error message I received from WMP10 when I clicked the "Burn" button to burn tracks:

had an icon on it indicating my media player. I have not tried uninstalling it yet but unless I get a better lead, I'm going to give that a try soon. The only thing is when I started syncing the Zen NX, I updated the desktop software and downloaded drivers for it and the Zen NX. If I uninstall the software, I don't know how to get at all the updates and the drivers I downloaded. As always, any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Find an exit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2006 9:46 PM PDT

WMP can't always be fixed. We install this or that and break WMP.

There are many fine replacements so that's our exit.

Still want to try? Please read the WMP FAQ at http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

Bob

Collapse -
That did it!
by pjpendleton / June 27, 2006 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Find an exit.

Exultation and jubilation! Less than 10 minutes after opening your message and reviewing the link you provided, I attempted to burn a disk and it worked! Thank you for your assistance and your patience. It is most appreciated. This is definitely one of the best sites on the internet and people like you are the reason why. Thank you again. I will hang out here and keep my eyes open in hopes of learning a thing or two.

Best Regards,
Shadow

Collapse -
That's great.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2006 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: That did it!

As you can tell, the WMP FAQ is pretty long but worth reviewing.

The thing is, you gotta keep trying until the end is found or you find another way.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?