Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player 10 Question

by Kurashiki / January 23, 2006 10:32 PM PST

I have a question about Windows Media Player 10. For some reason, I have lost the audio of some of my video (mpeg2) files. I can play my music files without any problems and I don't have the mute button pushed by mistake. I can play my mpeg2s in my VLC player and the sound is fine, but for some reason they do not work anymore in WMP10.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player 10 Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player 10 Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's the CODEC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 12:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by Kurashiki / January 24, 2006 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: It's the CODEC.

Thanks for the reply. I will look at the site you mentioned. I thought it might be something like that but here is the strange thing: I was able to play these files and get the audio without any problems using WMP10 a week ago. Now, they do not seem to work. Any ideas why?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
I'd have to guess...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

That a codec has been disabled. Remember that WMP and it's codecs are under someone else's control at times.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Again
by Kurashiki / January 24, 2006 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: I'd have to guess...

When you say that codecs are "under someone else's control" I am not sure what you mean. Is there some kind of program on my computer that could be disabling the codec I need? I do regular scans using my anti-virus software and they always come up clean.

Is there a way to reactivate a codec that has been disabled?

Finally, the only software that I have installed since recently has been Nero 7 Platinum. I remember being able to play these files before installing that so I am wondering if that is the problem.

Unfortunately, I did not read the CNET reveiws of Nero 7 before installing it, but it seems like a lot of people are having problems with it.

Is it possible that Nero 7 has somehow disabled the WMP10's codecs?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Windows Update and the Malicious Software Removal
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Again
Collapse -
Thanks x3
by Kurashiki / January 24, 2006 9:27 AM PST

Thanks again,

I will check out that site as well.

I appreciate all of the information.

Collapse -
Your suggestion worked
by Kurashiki / January 24, 2006 5:30 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks x3

Thanks for all the help.

I looked at the sites you recommended and download some software called Video Inspector.

It worked really well. Once I found out what Codecs I was missing, I downloaded them and my sound came back.

Hopefully I won't have any more problems but if I do I have an idea where to look now.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Good to hear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: Your suggestion worked

Well informed is well armed.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.