Laptops forum

General discussion

Windows Media Center vs. Vista

by gengari / March 11, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

As expected, there's a lot of hype about Vista. Personally, I don't think I need or want Vista. Unfortunately, all the laptops I've looked at come with Vista pre-installed. Anyone want to tell me why I should be happy to receive a laptop with the "upgraded" operating system. Pre-Vista it seemed that Windows Media Center was well received. Any chance of getting Media Center instead of Vista pre-installed on a new laptop?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Center vs. Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Center vs. Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would try boutique places....
by steve749 / March 11, 2007 10:47 AM PDT

They should be able to use XP Media Center I would think though you'd have to call them to see if this is possible to do on a custom laptop. I think it should be possible though it may take a few calls and some patience since most of the pre-built systems will have Vista now. Another idea would be to go to those Outlet stores that sell systems as they may have such systems, e.g. here in Calgary, AB there is Laptop Depot, Computer Outlet, and ComputerTrends to name a few examples where I see ads for laptops with XP Media Center on them.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Thanks, JB
by gengari / March 12, 2007 10:15 AM PDT

Thanks for your suggestions, JB.

Collapse -
From Vista to Media Center
by Papa Echo / March 11, 2007 11:21 AM PDT

If you are not happy with Vista, then there are no good reasons for geting it, and lots of reasons for waiting.

Manufacturers will unlikely be able to downgrade for you because of agreements made between them and Microsoft. At best, there may be older models with XP or media center still available.

You should be able to downgrade it yourself, but you would lose the manufacturer's support and warranty.
You will need: 1. a legit copy of the OS which you are downgrading to; 2. Seek out details- model and version number, manufacturer, etc, of the chip set, mother board,on board devices, etc., and get the appropriate drivers. And of course, when the right time comes, you will be able to upgrade to Vista with the "Recovery Disc", which comes with the laptop, or one created by you ...

Collapse -
Thanks, Papa Echo
by gengari / March 12, 2007 10:23 AM PDT

Your downgrade suggestion sounds doable, but not for me. I'd rather not lose the manufacturer's support an warranty.

As usual, I'll be dragged reluctantly in to the mainstream as a result of choosing to avoid the potential pitfalls awaiting me along fringes.

Collapse -
Media
by travisb05 / March 12, 2007 9:49 AM PDT

i think vista ultimate has media center on it so get tthe vista with edia center already in it.

Collapse -
Thanks, Travis
by gengari / March 12, 2007 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Media

Didn't know that a version of Vista includes Media Center. Choosing Vista Ultimate sounds like an additional cost that I may not be able to afford though.

Collapse -
Actually...
by Sheepish12 / March 12, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Travis

Any Vista edition Home Premium or above has Media Center on it and most computers should come with Home Premium. I'm also interested in you're reasons for not wanting Vista, you will have somewhat less fps for gaming, but other than that there doesn't seem to be a reason why you wouldn't want Vista. Some of the critisizm it's getting is because it's not that big of an improvement over XP, but I haven't heard anyone dispute that it's a better operating system.

Collapse -
May not be true, but...
by gengari / March 12, 2007 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually...

I thought one of the issues with Vista is the large amount of system resources it uses. Personally, I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Seemed that I might do fine with, and actually get a better deal on, one of the smaller systems. Needing more resources to run Vista seems to be at my expense.

Collapse -
Windows Media Center vs. Vista
by SateeshGH / March 12, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

All the latest computers ships with Vista operating system. Compared to the Windows Media Center editon, vista has many advantages. But, it takes time to know about vista features, advantages by a normal user. Also, you may not get most of the drivers if you degrade the operating system. You can know about vista features at this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/default.mspx
You will come to know about vista if you use it for few days.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?