Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows Media Center Edition

by palaband2000 / January 30, 2007 11:48 PM PST

I just set up a new Gateway Media Center system. I plugged in my speakers to the line out port. It is one mini stereo plug that goes to two desktop and one powered subwoofer speakers. The audio is resident on the motherboard. The speakers play the system sounds but when I open the Media Center, it does not see the speakersand will not let me set up the TV viewing. Help??? Also, is the OS set up to watch TV on the system VGA monitor or only on a separate TV?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Center Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Center Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. Windows can't detect speakers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 11:53 PM PST

Analog speakers like yours are never detected. One just "tell" the system that we use 2.1 speakers.

2. Not all media center PCs include a TV tuner.

Without details I can only write "so far, so good."

Bob

Collapse -
media center
by palaband2000 / January 31, 2007 1:15 AM PST

The system has a card with two coax and one s-video connections which I assume is a TV tuner. AS to the speakers, when I go to the control panel/sounds panel, it is all faded showing no speakers. My previous system always allowed me to adjust this same speaker system from this area but this new one doesn't seem to see them.

Collapse -
Remember that Windows can't detect speakers of this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: media center

type. As to the TV card, that sounds proper. Did you connect it as they noted in the setup instructions? I had one owner that thought it was optional.

Bob

Collapse -
Quote.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 1:25 AM PST

"Doesn't it get TV from the internet?"

Sorry, no.

Bob

Collapse -
media center
by palaband2000 / January 31, 2007 2:33 AM PST

did connect catv to coax connector and WMCE detected it but I still can't get TV to work - no sound because the thing doesn't think there are speakers.

Collapse -
Or a missing cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 2:44 AM PST

Some TV cards connect their audio out to the aux in of the sound card. In ready to use machines we usually don't have to check the connections but in your case the Windows sounds appear to work (if not, tell us). So I'd be checking how sound gets from the TV card to the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Tried Checking/Installing An Updated Sound Driver?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 1:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Did You Check?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 1:04 AM PST

Open the Control Panel-Sounds and Audio Devices-Audio tab. In the "Sound Playback" section, make sure the appropriate device is selected. In that same section, click on the "Volume" button and make sure no boxes are "Muted". Close the "Volume Control" window. Now click on the "Advanced" button/Speakers tab in the same "Sound Playback" section, then Select for the proper speaker setup you have enabled. If you made any changes, click on "Apply", then OK..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!