HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Media 11 Won't Open?

by texasgreentea / February 14, 2008 8:46 AM PST

Ok... I need some assistance from all you Gurus out there. I don't know what happened or how it happened but I can safely say that when I did the Feb 8th Microsoft updates, Windows Media 11 suddenly stopped working. I checked to see what the updates were, and none had anything to do with WM 11.

This is what it says everytime I try to open it, even after logging off, shutting down, removing the 2 updates I did from Feb 8th:
"To use Windows Media Player, log off from Windows, log back on, then start Windows Media Player."

Believe me, I have tried everything, including the suggestions about logging off and logging back on... nothing works. Anyone out there experienced this before? Is it something I did?

Here is what I have:
Dell Dimension
Intel 3.6 MHz (single core)
Win XP Pro SP2 (all current with updates)
4 GB RAM
750 GB Hard Drive (RAID 0)
7600 nVidia graphics card
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media 11 Won't Open?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media 11 Won't Open?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible solution.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 7:13 PM PST
Collapse -
Solution: PERFECT!
by texasgreentea / February 15, 2008 7:23 AM PST

Thank you, Mark! This was the fastest response and solution I have received.

For anyone who encounters this issue, the answer is simple: uninstall Windows Media 11 and then reinstall it. A reboot later... and you will be back in business.

I read other forums and it seems evident that this happens a little more frequently than Microsoft will admit to. It seems that every time an update is applied, some peoples WM 11 will go to sleep permanently. And the weird thing is that the updates have nothing to do with WM 11. Well, not going to point fingers at Microsoft... this is more of an annoyance and an hour or two to waste away.

But, after uninstalling WM 11, go to Microsoft's website and download the latest and greatest WM 11:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx

Again, thanks, Mark!

Collapse -
You're welcome, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 15, 2008 6:04 PM PST
In reply to: Solution: PERFECT!

You're right that WMP 11 does seem to be prone to getting broken by Windows Updates, even when those updates do not seem to be related.

Hope fully you will not have the same problem in the future.

Mark

Collapse -
For PCWhizkid.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 5:34 AM PST

Whilst we have no problems with members posting further information or guidance in threads, even when the problem has been reported as solved, posting links to your own blog site is not allowed and contravenes Forum Policy.

I've deleted your post.

I have also deleted 4 other posts you have made today, all for the same reason. You are advertising your own blog site.

I've requested you be banned.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.