General discussion

Windows ME Temporary Files and AV Scan

I'm running ME and NAV 2005. When I try to do a comprehensive scan NAV somehow finds about 100,000 temporary files that I can't locate on my system. This results in the scan process taking about an hour and a half plus I don't want any temporary files maintained anyway.

I am diligent about deleting temporary files and befuddled by where these may be hiding. Any ideas on how to address this problem.

TIA, again

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows ME Temporary Files and AV Scan
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows ME Temporary Files and AV Scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I was befuddled too, but here's what I found...
- Collapse -
befuddled

Norton System Doctor also chews-up System Resources. I found that with a little regular maintenence the Nort Doc seemed pretty useless.

Think some of these temp's may be related to .dat files? They do pile-up after awhile.

- Collapse -
Temporary Files

I just did a search in "My Computer" for Temporary Files and found "C:\windows\temporary files" containing over 157000 files. This is a shocker. On the way I more or less accidentally deleted all my existing cookies also.

So, given where I am and the extremely dangerous amount of new knowledge I have, what should be my next move????

- Collapse -
More Info

If it helps, my search cycle went from "My Computer" to "Local Disk C", to "Windows" to "TEMP", to "Temporary Internet Files", to "Content IE5". That's where these 150,000 + files lie. I opened one of them to see what it is and it's an old picture that I believe I got via email a couple years ago.

My machine, a Gateway, is now running I.E. Version 6.0. I believe I downloaded a MSFT update or upgrade from IE5 to IE6 shortly after buying it.

I'm wondering, but fearful of attempting it, if I could just delete the contents of this "Content IE5" folder. It appears to be the source of, at least, my scanning problem. And. it's got to be eating up a whole bundle of disk space, (865MB), according to it's properties.

- Collapse -
While in the "Windows" folder...

It is safe to delete the files in these sub-folders:
Cookies, History, Recent History (if it exists),Temp, and Temporary Internet Files. Then on the desktop delete items in the Recycle bin. It's a good idea to clean-out these folders occasionally to restore disc space and to help keep the computer from slowing-down.

The folder regarding IE5 I would leave alone. I removed something like it awhile back and my IE6.0 stopped working. I think mabe the IE6.0 may have been dependant on it (but not sure) because I had to download and install it to get IE6.0 to work again.

- Collapse -
Thanks to all

Thanks for helping me wade through this. I hate to admit how stupid I am, but, here goes. I've owned and operated PC's using a couple versions of MSFT Windows for about 7 or 8 years. I've been paranoid about keeping my system clean and free and, for an amateur, thought I knew what I was doing.

However, since obtaining this machine in July of 2001,every time I deleted my temporary internet files I neglected to also " delete all offline content". So, after three and a half years I had collected over 157,000 temporary files in my "C" drive Temporary Files folder.

They're gone now.

CNET Forums

Forum Info