Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows me media player 9 series

by Desiree / October 24, 2004 9:48 PM PDT

I upgraded to windows media player 9 series, & now when
I try to open it, it just say's: an internal application error has occurred. Please help!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows me media player 9 series
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows me media player 9 series
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: windows me media player 9 series
by Melvin Keyes / October 25, 2004 12:06 PM PDT

I am experiencing the same error and I just downloadedmedia player 9.

Collapse -
by ranata / December 31, 2004 1:33 PM PST

i have just downloaded the same and having the same error message. has anyone got a solution for not a computer expert?

Collapse -
by ranata / December 31, 2004 1:37 PM PST

i have the same problem, did you find a solution? if yes can you let me know, ta

Collapse -
Try this
by hounta / December 31, 2004 1:53 PM PST

Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
Open the Windows Media Player folder and click the SETUP_WM icon.
And see if the reinstall works.

Collapse -
media player restart
by ranata / December 31, 2004 4:53 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

thank you for your help. tried the restart and thought that all was going to work but and there is always a but i got the same error after finishing the registration part. computer froze on restart and on reset i got a new message backweb-7288971 has caused an error in <unknown> backweb-7288971 will now close. if you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer. tried but made no difference. any further suggestions. ta again

Collapse -
Backweb isn't part of this OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: media player restart

As such, you may want to remove it.

Bob

Collapse -
backweb
by ranata / January 1, 2005 5:27 PM PST

could you tell me them where i managed to get this from? and what does it mean? and how to get rid of it ta

Collapse -
Don't know how you got it
by hounta / January 1, 2005 5:56 PM PST
In reply to: backweb
Collapse -
Backweb
by KevMo2 / January 2, 2005 8:53 AM PST

Ranata, a lot of PC and software manufacturers include it as part of their updating programs. I've removed it from two HP PC's running ME and it helped eliminate many GPF's and improved internet speeds. It's always trying to phone home when you're online and doesn't play nice with the other programs. The only thing you'll lose removing it is the automatic updating on whatever program installed it. It's worth it. Hope this helps, Kevin

Collapse -
backweb
by ranata / January 3, 2005 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: Backweb

thanks kev for the words of wisdom. ran spybot and ad ware found some things that should not have been there, hopefully now gone, baulked a little at the warning in the removal segment that hounta told me about thanks for that also hounta. tried to reinstall media player before, got same message, however a little box told me to turn off programs running, tried to find them, maybe now i might give it another try.

thanks again ranata

Collapse -
media player fix
by rwp_17 / March 30, 2005 11:58 PM PST

uninstall both media players in the windows media player folder

then reinstall windows media player
hope that works

Collapse -
Microsoft told me to
by PudgyOne / March 31, 2005 3:45 AM PST

Microft told me to do this, and it works.

Step 1: Download Windows Media Player 9 Series (WMP9) files and 828026 update

Step 2: Uninstall Windows Media Player 9 in your system

===============================================

1. Click Start -> Run. Type the following "command" in the Open field and Click OK.

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection Uninstall 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf

There are spaces between "rundll32.exe", "setupapi,InstallHinfSection", "Uninstall", "132" and "c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf"

2. Restart the computer into Safe Mode using the steps below:

a. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks). Click OK.

b. Click the Advance button. Check the "Enable Startup menu" item. Click Ok.

c. Reboot the computer. When the startup menu appears, choose Safe Mode and press Enter.

Note: If you don't want to see the startup menu later, you can repeat the above steps and uncheck the "Enable Startup menu" item in the #2.

Step 3: Install WMP9 and the 828026 update in Safe Mode

================================================

1. Enter into Safe Mode and locate to the downloaded WMP9 file to reinstall Windows Media Player 9.

2. After you finished install Windows Media Player 9, please install the 828026 update in Safe Mode.

3. Restart your system into Normal Mode and check to see whether or not the 828026 file still re-offers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.