General discussion

Windows ME Instal Problem

I am running Windows ME and also have Norton System Works loaded. I am having trouble installing Windows updates that have been successfully downloaded. Install process starts,but never finishes - computer locks up. I ran all the Norton identify/fix/repair programs, including Go Back. Norton says there is a file missing as fllows: C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Installshield\Professional\RunTime\0701\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe is missing the file mscoree.dll. I have tried reloading Windows ME, but run into same problem - when the installation gets to the install point, the computer locks up. Is there a fix short of formating the hard drive and starting over? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows ME Instal Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows ME Instal Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Noted "fun" combination.
- Collapse -
Need Someone to Walk Me Through This

Thanks for the info. I did print out the info from Bug Net, but due to my lack of computer knowledge was unable to follow the directions to locate and remove the offending OEM*.INF files. When I followed the directions to hidden files and folders OEM*.INF files did not appear as I expected. I am sure there is another step, but I am afraid to experiment for fear of scewing things up more. Also, my knowledge of how to work in DOS is defunct. So, can you tell me in simple terms how to find the OEM*.INF files that I need to delete and the commands I need to enter in DOS to locate, highlight and delete these files. I have blasted Symantec for not making me aware of this problem and received an e-mail saying one of their techs would e-mail in 4 to 5 business days - I'm not holding my breath!! Thanks for any help you can provide. Ralph

- Collapse -
RE: Walk

To solve the miss mscoree.dll problem download a copy of "mscoree.dll" from this site:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/download.php?mscoreedownload0UMkTHUIhW

unzipped it and copy the mscoree.dll file into your "DotNetInstaller.exe" file which is located on your hard drive at:

C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe

Then re-run Norton Utilities or SystemWorks and this should fix the error.

- Collapse -
Been using Norton System Works 2002 with Window ME...

trouble free a few years except for the week while I was using the the System Doctor wich slowed me to a crawl. After turning-off the Norton System Doctor the other features of Norton System Works have worked great. The Doc just truned out to be a worthless resource hog.

CNET Forums

Forum Info