Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows ME - External Drive problem -Please help

by NortyNasty / January 15, 2009 1:45 PM PST

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. I have looked for hours all over the internet for a similar problem but couldn't find anything like mine.

I have two computers one running XP and one with ME. Recently I bought a SimpleTech 320gb usb external hard drive . I first had it formatted NTFS but reformatted to FAT32 to use with my other computer. I formatted it with SwissKnife application as FAT32 as one Primary drive.

When I originally plugged the drive into the ME it didn't show up but I did somethings to get it to appear under device manager.The files I put in the drive on XP showed up but I couldn't open or save anything on the drive.
Then I Checked REMOVABLE under properties ,it changed to say Removable Drive F: from (whatever i called it when i formatted it on swissknife). I restarted the computer and tried to Format the drive on the ME computer but it had an error and wouldn't work.

Now I have it so the files I put on from XP show up when I put drive on ME and I can open then and transfer to the computer.Weirdly though Small files (under 200kb) seem to save although the blue screen apears after it goes away the file stays in the drive. BUT i cannot save files TO the drive I get a Blue Screen saying Disk Write Error on Drive F:.

-Under device manager on the ME a Green Question mark appears next to Mass Storage (meaning the Exact driver for the device wasn't found so a similar drive was supplemented)
-When I try to update driver (I have copied the .sys files that appear under driver details on the XP ,to the drive) the computer continues to use same drivers even though I manually try to use the correct drivers .

- Under device Manager The external Hard drive appears as Mass Storage Device under usb tab, as FV-U35 under Disk Drives .. on both XP and ME.. but also appears under Storage device tab as Usb disk.

There's not a inf file that I know of to setup the device.

*any help you could give would be greatly appreciated , I am boggled with this problem ,being able to use on the XP computer and not the ME shows the problem must lie within the ME OS , I will continue to try to fix the problem, one thing that holds me back is the ME computer doesn't have internet access.

Thanks for listening,
Andrew

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows ME - External Drive problem -Please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows ME - External Drive problem -Please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tools
by Willy / January 15, 2009 8:21 PM PST

Did you use a driver to install on the Me system? I would think you need that but not for the XP based one. Is the SwissKnife s/w was that with the ext. HD? If not use XP based HD mgt. to reformat to FAT32. I have used HP's USB storage flash utility for practically all USB ext. HD issues. That's available from HP support website, should you care to get it. Maybe, its not ID properly. Of course, Me maybe more prone to issues as I found win98 flash/ext. drives can go awry all too quickly. I did find it odd that at the SimpleTech support website no reference to SimpleDrive FV-U35 that you provided.
support link: http://www.simpletech.com/support/

Yes, a USB ext. drive can be seen as a storage device either for flash or true HD.

FAT32= 127gb max. storage???
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/prdf_fls_pxjh.mspx?mfr=true

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Added note
by Willy / January 15, 2009 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: Tools
Collapse -
Windows ME - External Drive problem -
by NortyNasty / January 17, 2009 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: Added note

Thanks willy for trying to help.

The SimpleDrive did not come with a driver, it was plug and play so when i plugged into XP it was fine, and when i plug into ME it recognizes it ,I know this because instead of saying Generic Mass Storage device it labels it FV-U35 under Device Manager which is the specific name for the External hard drive. I may have a problem with my ME causing me not to be able to transfer files to the Ex. Hard Drive, I believe this because I noticed my CD-ROM is not working, and I also cannot do a System Restore. I think I could fix the problem if I could get the Cd-rom to work by using the disc that came with the compuer to fix the problems. I would just try to refortmat the Hard Drive and re-install Windows but I have alot of important files I need to get off the computer first.

On the SimpleTech webstie I also noticed it doesn't show my exact External Hard Drive, I belive mine may be a older model and looks differnt on their site.

Thanks Willy for showing interest in my problem, I will let you know if, and how I solved it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.