Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Windows Me cannot find Printer at USB port of Networked XP

I have just established a home network between my old pc, running Windows ME, and my new one, running Windows XP, using a D-Link router.
Internet is working fine in both computers, as well as file sharing, but I have problems with printer sharing: I can print from XP to the HP deskjet printer hooked at LPT1 port of ME, but failed at adding the Lexmark printer hooked at USB port of XP as a network printer for ME. After using the ''Add Printer Wizard'' in ME, and installing the proper drivers, I get this message from Lexmark Wizard Installer saying installation failed because the printer is not correctly connected (''check all the printer cables''). This Lexmark works fine as a local printer for XP, so cables cannot be the real problem. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this Lexmark uses an USB port?
I'd would be grateful if I can get some help from more knowledgeable people. Thanks in advance.
Jeyce

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Me cannot find Printer at USB port of Networked XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Me cannot find Printer at USB port of Networked XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call it in.

In reply to: Windows Me cannot find Printer at USB port of Networked XP

Here's why. Some printers do not support being shared over your LAN. It's annoying when you find one, but save yourself time and ask.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, I just did...

In reply to: Call it in.

Thanks a lot for your early reply.
Today I phoned Lexmark Technical Service and was told that the problem is sharing between 2 different OS.
It looked like a quick answer; the guy wasn't interested in digging any further. On my part, I do think that sharing between different computers (and consequently different OS) is of the essence of networking, and optimistically guess there should be a way.
Jeyce

Collapse -
Looks like you have one of those.

In reply to: Thanks, I just did...

That don't support such sharing. If it was going to share, you would share it and then try to find it with the add new printer tool on the client. But this one looks DOA.

Try http://www.networkmagic.com/ and best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
I made it!!!

In reply to: Windows Me cannot find Printer at USB port of Networked XP

Technical Support... Looks like they are there just to take your call and get your info instead of solving your problem. It was hard to believe you couldn't share a printer on a network using TCP/IP, because the very reason to be of this protocol is the possibility of sharing resources between different computers and platforms. That's why Internet exists as we know it today.
I finally was able to print to Lexmark hooked at XP from my old PC using WInME after some rather primitive procedure. I physically disconnected this Lexmark printer from XP and hooked it up to an USB port at ME, installing it like a local printer. I was able then to successfully finish with the Lexmark Wizard, install drivers and all. After removing this connection and hooking this printer back to XP, where it belongs, I opened this printer Properties at ME, and in Details added a new port, located at \\xp\lexmark (\\server\printer), and that made it!
Moral of this case: sometimes trust your instinct over Technical Support.
Thanks for your interest,
Jeyce

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.