Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Mail problem opening multiple images.

by Grimbles / March 1, 2008 1:01 AM PST

Hi All - Looking for help/advice....anyone else experiencing this problem? Using Windows Mail in Vista Home Premium, when opening an email message containing multiple images/pictures the process of scrolling down the images for viewing slows to an absolute crawl....if I minimise Windows Mail I get to see the CPU meter drop from 100% to zero....it would appear some process is chewing up CPU resources when opening these types of emails.....any ideas what it may be? I am not having problems with any other mail or in general.

Dell Dimension 4700
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8Ghz
2gb DDR2 RAM

cheers........JIMBO

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Mail problem opening multiple images.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Mail problem opening multiple images.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us about...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 2:20 AM PST

Who installed this OS and if all BIOS, motherboard drivers, video drivers are up to date.

Collapse -
More info
by Grimbles / March 1, 2008 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Tell us about...

The OS was installed by myself on a secondary internal hard drive, my original hard drive still has XP Home SP2 installed. I updated the BIOS via Dell site to latest version...video driver and sound driver are definitely up to date and as far as I know so are all other drivers.

cheers...JIMBO

Collapse -
I had hoped to read particulars on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: More info

How you know the drivers are current. In parting, try something simple. Set the color depth of the display to 24 bits or higher.

Bob

Collapse -
I am guessing they are current.
by Grimbles / March 1, 2008 11:21 AM PST

Sorry Bob - After install Vista showed me a problem list with solutions....off it went and reportedly got the latest drivers for video card and sound card ....seeing as I have had no problems with either sound or video display I am assuming the latest and greatest drivers were then installed.
Colour depth is currently set at 32 bits (which is the highest available setting).
cheers.....JIMBO

Collapse -
To not guess try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 9:56 PM PST

Supplying the gritty details. That is, the version you installed for what card you have. The details are not here or I missed it.

-> Lack of problems is not the issue here or you would not be posting.

Initially I was going to write you don't have a dual core CPU but then I thought better of it and thought we should do a check of the drivers that do this work.

What score does your Vista give you?

If you click your "rating" in Computer - Properties you get a list of scores for individual processes of your PC.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay
by Grimbles / March 2, 2008 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: To not guess try.

Sorry if I seem a little vague Bob, I am new at this and unsure of the requirements, here are the details for my video and sound cards...also the performance scores:

Video = ATI Radeon X300 series -Driver from ATI Technologies inc.
Date 22/01/2008
Version 8.453.00
Sound = SB Live! 24-bit -Driver from Creative
Date 14/02/2007
Version 5.12.1.2001

PERFORMANCE:
Processor 3.8
Memory (RAM) 5.2
Graphics 2.1
Gaming graphics 3.2
Primary hard disk 5.3

thanks mate......JIMBO

Collapse -
That's a little low on the graphics score. Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

-> Turn off AERO and try one more time. If not I think we've hit the end of the trail (except for what motherboard driver you installed).

Bob

Collapse -
No go
by Grimbles / March 2, 2008 8:10 AM PST

Thanks Bob, turned off Aero and it made no difference to performance score...I actually disabled all fancy graphics via 'Advanced system settings/adjust for best performance' and that bumped the score up to a fabulous 2.2......lol.
I cannot see where/how to access info re motherboard and associated driver??

cheers.....JIMBO

Collapse -
That wouldn't help the score
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2008 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: No go

But could have freed up the CPU and graphics card/driver to work on your display speed in that email.

As to the motherboard driver, I'll have to see if you shared the make/model of the machine.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Grimbles / March 3, 2008 8:36 AM PST

Hey Bob - Thanks for all your help mate......from your input, the minor problem seems to be hardware related....I knew my video card was pretty basic, Vista demands better.....I can live with it!

thanks again...cheers...JIMBO

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.