Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows Mail

by mil / October 14, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

I have always used Microsoft Office Outlook for my default email delivery and, as well for sending information to either myself or to others off the internet. Now, for some reason, when I send something off the internet, up pops Windows Mail...I do not know why the change. As well, this morning two items coming to my email address came via Windows Mail. I do not want this but do not know how to correct it. Office Outlook remains my default email address so......I am really mystified. Is there a way to disabale Windows Mail without disabling the other aspects of MSN??????? Something must have been changed (not by me) and I do not know how to change it back.
PS: I have grandkids who use this computer so my guess is that they must have done something....
cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Mail

You asked why. Microsoft updates to Internet Explorer are known to but shouldn't have changed the email defaults. Let's not go into the discussion about this but move on.

You didn't supply what OS but in Windows XP you open up Control Panel, Internet options and find the tab where you select what program to use for email links. Change it to Outlook of your choice.
Bob

Collapse -
windows email
by mil / October 14, 2009 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

Hi again....its Vista we have as an operating system.....

Collapse -
Wouldn't this be nearly the same procedure?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: windows email

Sorry but part of the forums is to help you help yourself. Try changing what email program is to be used. And I looked and it's the same place from XP to Vista. You could have saved a post?

Collapse -
windows mail
by mil / October 15, 2009 12:26 AM PDT

Thanks. Sorry to have been a bother.

Collapse -
No bother.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: windows mail

Just asking that we apply ourselves and save a few posts.

Collapse -
Win Vista
by Phil Crase / October 14, 2009 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: windows email

Windows Vista uses WINDOWS MAIL, no more outlook express, similar but not the same.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.