Windows Vista forum

General discussion

windows mail

by jimp_39 / April 2, 2008 8:33 PM PDT

For some unknown reason, I keep getting "Windows Mail not responding". I have tried system restore to another date but still have the problem. Vista Premium with 2 gig hard drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long have you been using computers?
by Dango517 / April 3, 2008 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: windows mail

Do you know how to run a check disk?
Do know what registry repair software is?

For your information, the Vista operating system alone can't run on a 2 gig hard drive. It will not fit. They haven't made a 2 GB hard drive since 1990, something, maybe 1980, something. Grin

Collapse -
How long have you been using computers
by jimp_39 / April 3, 2008 9:00 PM PDT

Being a Senior Citizen I DONT know much about using computers, I was simply asking for help. I stand corrected, my laptop has a 160gb hard drive. My problems still persists. How do I run a chkdsk??? What is registry repair software.

Collapse -
check disk
by Dango517 / April 3, 2008 10:44 PM PDT

To get to "check disk" take the following path. start> help and support> type "check disk" in "search help" box, click it> choose "Check your hard disk for errors", click it> choose "Click to open Computer", click it> right click on "local disk C:" click "properties"> choose the "tools" tab at the top, click it> in choose "error checking", click the "check now" button> an applet will appear, click the "scan for..........." box, both boxes should have check marks in them> click "start"> an applet will appear, click "Schedule disk check"> restart your computer> when it restarts it will run automatically. This may take an hour or more.

Did this fix the problem?

If this fixes it we'll skip the registry repair.

You can receive valuable information about basic computing from here:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

There are others as well. (using the search words "basic computing"):

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS258US258&q=basic+computing

Welcome to computing, "Newbie". Happy <These indicate a smile Grin This one is for laughter Grin A newbie is a beginner, no matter how old.

Collapse -
Checkdisk and registry repair aren't likely to help ...
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2008 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: windows mail

in my opinion. But a checkdisk won't harm either (feelings about registry repair are mixed).

http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid68_gci1276029,00.html has some info on running chkdsk. Go into the command prompt, type chkdsk c: (+ enter) and confirm that you want it done at the next reboot. Then close the command prompt window, shutdown and reboot.

When are you getting this message about Windows mail not responding? And are there any other symptoms besides this message?

Kees

Collapse -
checkdisk and registry repair
by jimp_39 / April 4, 2008 12:20 AM PDT

Hi again. I have managed to do the check disk and it appears to have solved the problem with Windows Mail. I get the message when I try to open an email in Windows Mail, the little icon just keeps spinning and when I go to close the page, that is when I get the message ''Windows Mail not responding''. On restarting Windows Mail -- Windows Mail did not shut down properly.
Thanks for your help, anymore would be a bonus.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?