HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Mail

by minsdad / March 23, 2008 10:25 AM PDT

I am using Vista Home Premium.
When I receive an email in Windows Mail that contains a URL I cannot go to the specified address.
I receive the following message: "X followed by the URL then Application not found".
Basically I cannot click on a URL contained in an email and go to that Page. I could, but now I cannot.
I do not remember doing anything that would cause this to happen.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What software do you use regularly?
by Grimbles / March 23, 2008 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Mail

Hey Minsdad - What cleaning/maintenance software do you have installed that you use regularly? e.g. CCleaner?
I have had this problem myself with Vista Home Premium but as yet have not identified the culprit.......A 'system restore' has fixed it for me in the past....have you tried that yet???

cheers..............JIMBO

Collapse -
Yes I do use CCleaner
by minsdad / March 23, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

G'Day JIMBO - Yes I do use CCleaner.
Will try a system restore.
Although I've been putting up with this for a while now.
Not sure just how far to go back?
Any suggestions?
Thanks Mate Happy

Collapse -
G'day
by Grimbles / March 24, 2008 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I do use CCleaner

Hey Minsdad, G'day to you too........I have a feeling that CCleaner may be the culprit, no proof but since I stopped using it the problem has not resurfaced.
How far you go back with a system restore depends on how long you have been experiencing the problem. Rule of thumb, I try to not go back too far (all the updates are a pain in the b*tt).....Pick a restore point dated before the time you think the problem first started...if that doesn't do it 'undo' the restore and then select an older restore point and try again.
Hope that works for you.
BTW: Are you an Ozzie? Where are you?
cheers....JIMBO

Collapse -
G'day JIMBO
by minsdad / March 26, 2008 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: G'day

Yes mate I'm an Aussie.
I come from Lake Macquarie (about 150 kms north of Sydney on the East coast of OZ)
Sorry about the delay in answering, but I've been away for a few days.
I've just deleted CCleaner. So, I'll try the System Restore.
thanks Mate.

Collapse -
Hey Mimsdad
by Grimbles / March 27, 2008 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: G'day JIMBO

Oh, I wouldn't have deleted CCleaner until it was identified absolutely as the culprit, I kept it on just never ran it.....never mind, easy enough to put it back on later.
What browser do you use? I've had some problems with Firefox 2.0.0.12 in Vista Premium....just got an update to 2.0.0.13 which included some changes to dll's.....if you have been using Firefox it may have been the culprit....see what happens when you get updated to the latest version.
I know Lake Macquarie really well, my wife and I lived in Blackalls Park near Toronto for almost 20 years.....still got a lot of friends in the area as well as relos. We are now retired to sunny Queensland (Bundaberg)...and loving it!

cheers mate....JIMBO

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.