Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows, Mac or Linux

by JoshHendo / November 16, 2004 2:04 PM PST

I use windows and some of my friends use macs. Every day we have arguments about which is the best. I just want to know what other people think is the best. If you want to post the OS you think is the best and a reason (optional) on this form. This will finally prove that windows is the best!!!! (I am only looking for peoples opinion)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows, Mac or Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows, Mac or Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll give you mine....
by Art / November 16, 2004 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Windows, Mac or Linux

Most windows user never go beyoud windows, so how reliable would their opinions make? Just my opinion. I think this is the wrong forum for it anyway.

Collapse -
Windows Man
by pearljamkornfan / December 22, 2004 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: I'll give you mine....

I have been using MS Windows since the 3.1 days, and agree there are many many problems with it, but it seems the most user friendly. I have had to do a few re-installs of 98 on my old comp due to hardware failure (thrown togehter hand me down parts). But, with a nice MS background and some common sense, Windows is a great choice because so many people use it. I got a computer 8 months ago and have had 0 problems with it. I upgraded to SP1 and 2, run Ad-aware, Spybot S&D with the Tea Timer enabled (great feafure), and AVG free 7.0. I update these often, and the Tea Timer really is more of an advanced feature since you need knowledge of the item that is is asking you to block or allow. I know many of you think I am not smart for disabling system restore, but I did, and with a defrag every 2 weeks, my machine runs much faster. This really isn't recommended but I have the restore disks and have all valuable files on another drive/CD. Also, there is a large support community for windows users. I helped my friend's family set up a wireless network with their DSL and he just gives me a call when something goes wrong (power failuire and having to re-enter WEP key.) Also, before I became experienced enough, I knew of 3 people right away that would be able to help me. Plus, as most everyone mentions . . . COMPATABILITY is key. I know that some MAC/UNIX apps are ported for windows, but there are still many incompatability issues. I used RedHat linux 8 and 9 in my Network Tech Support Lab this last semester, and being so used to windows, found it almost user-unfriendly. Another aspect is cost, not just of the O/S, but hardware. Keep in mind, drivers are not always available right away for linux or mac that will support your device. And for all you people bashing IE, you do so rightly, but is not all bad. I use IE 6 and check/use windows update often, use the anti-spy/malware tools, AVG, and use common sense when going to certain websites. I find IE to be faster than mozilla, and with the firewall (SP2's) enabled, all of the above apps, and a little common sense, I have never recieved any programs that have damaged my computer in 8 months. At school, I stay online with the 3.8 mB/S line almost 24/7 and have never recieved an outside attack. Also, a tip for windows users is to watch what you are installing. Don't just click "Next" 100 times because often, you are installing spyware or add-ons including WildTangent BS, GAIN, and the weather bug. I bet atleats 50% of the people that have weather bug simply just agreed with AIM when asking if they want to instal it. Also, find a site that lists processes and startup apps that can be disabled safely. I check MSConfig often and remove any programs that I don't need or use for O/S stability. And for you beginning users who choose Microsoft and have problems, just be careful and remember that we CNET users are here to help. (same goes for other O/S's).

Ross

Collapse -
Re: Windows, Mac or Linux
by septus / November 16, 2004 4:25 PM PST

Hi Josh,
I do not have any objective data, but preferring to assemble my own systems, I have not felt tempted to use Mac, which seems to be rather expensive. Numerous crashes (can't avoid tinkering) with various Win:s, several failed "restores" with Win, the frequent need for updates, the OEM restrictions, wanting to upgrade MoBo:s, and the annoying activation/re-activation process, have driven me into the Linux "camp". Admittedly, the latter distros have their own frustrations, least so in Xandros. However, I do like Mandrake and Fedora too. Until at least one bank in particular permits me to use browsers other than IE, I am stuck with dual-booting.
Cheers
"septus

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 16, 2004 4:29 PM PST

What is 'Best' ? In what respect ?

If a user can find one task which can only be done by one but not by the others, then that one is the "best" for that moment, for that user. As always, "The Best Is Yet To Be."

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / November 17, 2004 4:35 AM PST

I did mean in your opinion, but anyway........

Collapse -
Just can't let this go...
by Art / November 17, 2004 7:25 AM PST

To Be or not to BeOS..that's the question!!

Collapse -
by luxx / November 16, 2004 4:40 PM PST

I used to had arguments with friends about the same topic, when we were young. Then we grew old and realized that there is no better OS by itself. It all depends on you, the user, and on your needs and tastes. So, I'm sorry, if you want to know which one is the best (for you) you will have to try them out.

For my needs and taste, windows serves me good. Mac I prefer to avoid because I need to interact a lot with other people (mostly using win) and Mac is just not compatible enough. Linux.. well, I like to work with my computer, and not for my computer.

luxx.

Collapse -
by dylwar / November 19, 2004 6:39 PM PST

I am afraid I have to disagree with some of what you said and agree with the rest. Yes, you have to try them all to form an accurate opinion. Yes, taste is subjective. But, without a doubt, Unix based systems are are better than Windows. They are inherently sturdier, more reliable and more robust then Windows can ever dream of being. And yes, they have their faults as well, but you have an enormous World-wide community supporting Unix based systems. You will most likely find that when a fault arises with Unix, that someone else already had the problem and the fix (or update) already exists. Windows users (I maintain a Windows network at work...(head hung low...)) know the frustration of waiting ages for the next service pack that doesn't solve your problem or wading through oceans of documentation and support group postings only to find a veritable plethora of solutions in which only, MAYBE, 5% actually work (Windows users... you know i'm right...). Fair enough, Windows is a decent system, but the only reason Linux hasn't become main stream is that most companies won't spend the money to switch to Linux systems and the average home user doesn't know enough or cannot be bothered learning something that they are unfimiliar with.

The real question here should be, which Unix based system is best? I am a Linux man at heart. If I could convince my bosses to let me start putting in Linux Servers and abandon the other (Windows...) Servers, that I can create a network that they would never question again. Linux more reliable, highly supported, configurable, robust and, in some cases, faster.

At the moment I have a Mac PowerBook. I was told that PPC Linux runs very fast on Mac architecture. Unfortunately, PPC Linux is like i386 Linux was in the beginning, excelent, but not quite there yet. Although support is growing and it is almost up to spec with i386 Linux. Which leaves us with Mac OS X. A good peice of software. The right idea. Unfortunately, Apple has gone back to its old tricks where, more and more, only Apple products (and those configured for use on Mac...) can be used with Apple. Proprietary systems are nice for the bank account, but hell for the end user.

I've already bored all you good people enough so I will be brief with Unix. Linux is Unix, so I can't really say anything bad about Unix. Like Linux, it is just a matter of which flavour you like. There are a lot of users who swear by FreeBSD. Even Mac OS X started as a combination of Unix systems molded with FreeBSD. It is still very robust, configurable, faster and highly supported. What more do you need??

One day I will reload PPC Linux on my Laptop and return to the garden of Eden where I will give up Apples for an eternity. Fair play to Bill though. It was a nice try, but one day Bill will shout "F%@* OFF to you all!" and ride off in to the sunset with his billions leaving Windows users around the world stuck in the quagmire, having to learn a system they should have used in the beginning.

But, that is just my opinion...

Collapse -
by rengel / November 19, 2004 9:34 PM PST

I have running on my network here at home (I do a lot of work at home) a Win 2000 machine, an XP Pro machine, an XP Home laptop, a Linux (Suse) machine functioning as a fileserver and print server and another Linux box as a desktop machine just to tinker with. In my wifes office is another XP Pro machine also on the network.
I love Linux. It is almost bullet proof, less likely to be attacked by viruses and it faster than Windows on the same machine.
That being said, I have to say that Windows should be the choice for most users at this time. The Linux distibution people have finally gotten it right as far as installing a distro. It is no more difficult than Windows but it has been a long hard fight to get there. My first experience was Red Hat 5 and it almost cured me of Linux. Happy
What they still haven't gotten right is making changes to the machine. If you want to add programs to a linux box, it may become a very frustrating experience. There are millions of people in this world that want a computer but don't want to become a computer guru in order to use it. And how many users buy a computer and then don't make any changes to the applications, don't do updates don't add games, etc. Here is where Windows really has their act together better than Linux.
Let's tell an average user he has to recompile his operating system. See the user's face go white with fear and watch him go screaming into the night. Back to his Windows desk top machine.
Getting help with problems from other Linux users? Unfortunately there is still a bit of the "I'm a Linux user and I know more than you do" elitest attitude in the Linux community. Fortunately that is getting better in the last year after some of those types finally figured out they would actually benefit from more users in the market place.
Windows is a terrible OS from the point of view of security and use of resources on a computer. But it is usable to the average consumer.
But then this is also only an opinion.

Collapse -
by aintnorainbowdorothy / November 21, 2004 2:32 AM PST

I too disagree and agree with what you said, some of the first and some of the other. But Unix is not Linux nor vice versa. Linux is simply stolen Unix, wih a twist. Apple uses a version of Unix, it's own, and has IBM make it chips while Maxtor, Viking and other component makers make other parts of the guts. I like Mac for some apps and Windows for others. But Linux. I almost laughed when you said it was cheaper. Sure, it's cheap to put on the machine but support is outrageous. And which version do you use anyway? See? Linux is for those who want, as a previous poster said, a language for a person who wants to work FOR his or her computer, while I for one want my computer to work for me. And I do program in Linux, In fact, I am a freelancer who will work for anyone, like a certain type on Saturday night. I code and program in several languages and am certainly not afraid to put out money to learn another. After all, knowledge never hurt anyone. And after 32 years in the computer business, programming, coding and installing systems, the latter something I never do anymore and wish I had never done, I think I have some knowledge. But then, maybe too much knowledge IS a dangerous thing.

Collapse -
by geoffc / November 21, 2004 9:09 AM PST

"...and the average home user doesn't know enough or cannot be bothered learning something that they are unfimiliar with."

This is precisely why the debate for John Q Citizen is over Windows or Mac and not Linux. Linux/Unix is a debate for skilled geeks & wonks, not Mom & Pop who want to get emailed pictures of their grandkids from the other coast. And don't tell me Mom & Pop at 40, 50, 60, 70 or 80 have to go become geeks to use a lousy computer for finding info on cancer, getting those nice photos, or finding out if Costco has a good buy on dog food. Bupkus! These are the things everyday people use a computer for and they should not have to become geeks or wonks to do it.

Until the computer is as reliable as a toaster or TV or plug-in land-line USA telephone, it will not be an "applicance." And until it becomes an "appliance" it will be prone to needing far more expertise to use than it actually should require for the results it provides.

The one and only grace which gives Mac users reason to crow is that Apple holds an absolute monopoly over MacIntosh hardware and software. Yes, it works well. Why wouldn't it? It does not have to be compatible with 80,000 independent pieces of hardware and software from all over the globe. The benefit is stability. The drawbacks are speed and cost.

There are packages that run on both platforms with equal competence, for example CorelDRAW!, Filemaker Pro and Adobe's stuff. Having worked on both platforms with all of these packages, you can finish the exact same work at minimum 1/3 faster on the PC platform than the Mac just because of the peculiarities of the OS. The Mac's mouse-centricity, forced fade-ins and expando-contracto windows slow everything down significantly.

If you need speed, or compatibility, or have a limited pocketbook, Windows is the practical answer.

Now let's say you don't need that speed; the type of work you do isn't that speed-critical. Maybe you're a writer and as long as the machine can keep up with your fingers, dictation or whatever, that's fine. Or maybe you don't need to use a 'blippo-drive', 'whiz-bam video' and a 'typemite' input device. Let's also say your pocketbook is fairly flush; you can spend $1,500 instead of $400 for a computer to do exactly the same job and the "hassle-factor" is worth the extra $1,100 to you. If that's the case, then the MacIntosh is probably a better choice.

It's not a matter of what OS is best, as the man said, it's which one (or more) meets the needs you truly have.

Here's a real-life Mom & Pop story for you. I set my in-laws up with a computer years ago. They had plenty of $$ but he wanted a PC-compatible system so Windows it was. Had I had my preference, it may have been Mac, but he wanted that compatibility and since I had to do any work on the system, it did make my life easier. And it was the cheapest and simplest solution for their needs and it never, ever, not even once had to be re-worked for anything. Why? Because it matched their needs and their needs did not include stressing the OS or hardware.

A couple of years ago I set my parents up with their frist computer, an eMachine complete with monitor and printer for < $600.00. They had a beer budget and Windows again answered that call. Had I been forced to go Mac, they still would not have a system today because of the inflated costs Apple extorts for their pseudo-monopoly.

(Anybody remember the short-lived and very internally despised half-baked job Apple did making their OS available on other platforms for what, 6 months maybe? And that OS was already outdated. All of a sudden Mac-compatible machines started showing up at PC prices. But alas, it was not to be and Mac killed it quick. There is a demand for their OS, but they are too greedy to let it go without getting the hardware $$ too.)

So there you have one other person's take on it: There's no "best" OS, only the OS that does what you need at the price point you can live with on the equipment you have to use.

If you MEET all three qualifiers: (1) Speed not critical, and (2) Hardware can be proprietary, and (3) cost is not an issue -- then a Mac really can be a superb answer.

If you fail any ONE of these three, then a PC compatible system, which for non-geeks would mean Windows, is the practical answer.

Collapse -
by herop / November 20, 2004 1:07 AM PST

What I dislike in discussions like this is that arguments and prejudices are (close to) always mentioned without reflection:
So don't tell me you hardly tried Mac and have not been able to share the files you have to with your, say colleagues at work. I do it 10 ours a day without hassle (ever heard of MacOffice for example?).
And PLEASE don't come up with that stupid and weird argument that Linux users have to work that hard to get their systems up and running. When, if you ever did, was your last try to work with Linux (like MDK, Fedora, Suse)?
So please do as you told us: Please try and than decide (and talk about it).

HeroP

Collapse -
by Yew / November 16, 2004 8:44 PM PST

I use all three off and on, and each one is better at different things.

Windows is the superior game platform, just due to sheer momentum. Linux is the superior workstation/server setup, for getting actual work done and is perfect for the do-it-yourselfer. MacOS (X) is the superior desktop system for all non-gaming type tasks that don't fall also into workstation/server categories (particularly OS X).

Of course you could also toss in the BSD trio (FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD) each of which has different strengths and weaknesses. FreeBSD is generally fastest, but runs on the smallest number of platforms. NetBSD runs on just about everything but your kitchen toaster, but isn't as fast as FreeBSD or secure as OpenBSD. OpenBSD is quite possibly the most secure operating system on the market.

Moral of the story here being, if you're happy with Windows, good for you. But recognize that different people have different tastes, and try to resepct that.

Collapse -
by Anthony J Moulen / November 17, 2004 9:44 AM PST

I have been in the IT industry for over 10 years now, and worked in computers for 20 years now and during that time I have used every version of windows (desktop and most servers), most versions of MacOS, a majority of the different major Linux distributions, several of the BSDs, Solaris and SunOS, VMS, AIX, Dec Unix, and a few other minor OSes out there. As should be obvious I have been heavily weighted toward UNIX based systems. But even so, I think that it would be safe to say there is no best OS. Each OS has its reasons for being and its strong suits. Personally I am a major fan of Linux and use it as my desktop every single day. But I see the advantages of Windows in some areas and MacOS in others. I recommend to people things that will best fit their usage of computers all the time. I actually seldom install Linux software on family systems, because it just isn't appropriate for them.

I will say this, if it was easier to get software for Linux, I would be putting Linux on family systems all the time to avoid the silly rebuilding I end up doing all the time because of viruses and other malware. It is just so annoying how poor Windows is from a security perspective. This has to do with architecture versus just volume of usage. The architecture of Windows leads to poor security, couple that with a high volume of systems and people who don't know how to secure their systems and it is a problem just waiting to happen. MacOS systems in comparison, and taking the percentages into account, are just far less vulnerable even though the average technical capabilities of someone using a Mac tends to be less than that of those using Windows.

So I would say if I were to rate them, I would say for new users just looking for a simple computer, Mac is best, for those with more technical backgrounds looking for a more advanced system, Linux/UNIX is best, and I would leave Windows off the list of preferred systems. But this is just me.

Collapse -
by luxx / November 17, 2004 8:30 PM PST

I believe that the virus/malware problems in windows have to do with its security issues. But I do also think that the biggest reason is that windows is used by, say, 95% of all the PCs in the world. If you want to write malicious code, then the more computers you will affect the better. So you will write it for windows and not for other OS. Furthermore, virus people normally have this anti-Microsoft feeling and they believe that it is cool to fight Bill.

I'm not standing up for windows, I'm just saying that it is logical to see it as an unsafe system, because every attack is directed to it. The other systems look more safe, I don't know if they are, it's just that noone cares to attack them...

The same issue (the 95%) could be seen as one of the biggest advantages windows has. There is hardly compatibility problems with other people and you can easily find software to do anything you might think of (and much of it for free).

luxx.

Collapse -
by jaydee / November 20, 2004 12:15 PM PST

luxx, I agree with you there, but believe there is one more significant reason why windows is so prone to malware, and that lies in the way it is built.(If I'm wrong about this, tell me please!)

With the standard configuration of Windows, its dead easy to install a program or access files. Any one of us could walk up and install something onto the average persons Windows PC without too much difficulty. Viruses and malware work on the same principle, its easy to get in.

With my experience with Macs, I have never been able to change important settings or install programs without an administrator password. Frustrating though it may be, it has stopped me (and I didn't really know what I was doing) from altering the system. That's why there aren't as many viruses for Macs, and also why they're harder to get.

Mac viruses require you to enter a password and click OK. It's like the security system on your house - you unlock the door and type your pin to get in.

The average Windows PC can easily get a virus. It's like leaving your front door wide open. Okay, there's anti-virus software, but I have seen many Windows PC's with out of date or no virus software, and its these PC's which get infected and then help spread the virus.

As for Linux, I can't say as I havn't used it. But out of ONLY Windows and Mac OS X, Mac OS X is the winner for me.

jaydee

Collapse -
by davidkapl / November 19, 2004 9:32 PM PST

I prefer Mac because of its resistance to spyware and other malware. I prefer Mac because osX is based on unix.

Collapse -
by OldLadyGeek / November 20, 2004 4:18 AM PST

I'm not an evangelist for or against any operating system, but I prefer Linux. The reason is mainly choice: I can use any of several desktops, can customize the one I use to look and work the way I want it to, can use any of several distros either tubby or lean, and am not forced into any particular browser. I have not been afflicted with viruses and worms on Windows because I know how to compute safely, but I do like using my browser and getting my e-mail without fear that just looking at a page is going to infect my computer with something I don't want.

My favorite distro is VectorLinux 4.3, which I have on all of my computers (three). Vector is clean, lean, and standard. I can install what I want and make it look the way I want without trying to figure out what someone else did to "customize" it. In contrast to Windows, which would require me to buy a copy for every computer, I can put VL on as many computers as I own. I can even install the basic version for free (though I did buy the Deluxe CD to support the development of VL). Many Linux programs have reached a level of maturity that makes them suited for a rich and easy computing experience even for non-geeks.

Although I use Windows XP when I need to, my heart belongs to Linux.
--OldLadyGeek

Collapse -
by aintnorainbowdorothy / November 21, 2004 2:12 AM PST

I use both Windows and Apples (both mac's and IBM compatibles(windows using machines)are personal computers)Apple had the first out which was stolen by Microsoft. That said, both are good, with Apple having the best graphics and a great browser in Safari, while Windows using computers give you possibly more capabilities. I haven't figured out which has the most yet.I do know that I don't like turning on my Apple and getting ads first before getting to the meat of the matter. Toss Linux out. It has more holes than the U.S. Government. And that's a ton. It (Linux) is even in a snit now over who really started the whole thing. Some say Linus Thorvald while some say Thorvald, like Bill Gates, stole some from a lot of different people, and simply was the first to actually use it, or maybe the third, who knows. All I know is that open source just ain't the way to go. So in my humble opinion, somemay say ignorant, Apple's (Mac's) or IBM Compatibles (Windows) computers, are both fine computers. Decide for yourself. Use Apples that your friends have and use Windows machines then decide for yourself.

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / November 21, 2004 3:18 PM PST

Thank you for your responses.

Collapse -
by luxx / November 21, 2004 6:52 PM PST

You didn't expected all this uh?
It's funny what you can do when you mess with certain topics like this one.
It is incredible to see how the people love non-tangible things! There are hardly any new facts in all this long discussion, it is mostly "I use X and X rulez!".
And it is probably the way it should be... But windows is better!! (ahggg I know, sorry, just could't avoid it, it's fun to be the only windows supporter here)
hey guys this is the win xp forum !:) can you imagine what goes on in a linux forum ! They are probably discussing ways of having sex with their favorite distribution Happy

luxx.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 21, 2004 6:57 PM PST

LOL

Collapse -
by hro--2008 / November 21, 2004 6:08 PM PST

In the last 14mths I have switched to a MAC (imac 1.33ghz) system. This is a joy to use. It does not need regular rebooting, It does not hang on the CD subsystem, It has fantasic screen quality. It does not have the dreadful registry, Installing and un-installing is a dream.(Just delete the app folder), the standard iLife apps are excellent also. It is fast and the GUI is so logical. It is based on the open source Unix which is the most stable platform there is outside mainframes.
Yes, MAC OSX is currently the best with more to come!!

Collapse -
by macmadman / November 22, 2004 3:16 AM PST

I work in a mixed environment (Mac & Windows) shop and must say that we spend a lot more time working on problems people are having with their Windows machines. I personaly use both, and each has it's good points and bad points, but from the view of having to maintain these systems, I vote for Mac as the easiest due to fewer problems.

Collapse -
best
by jim powell / December 22, 2004 6:21 AM PST

if you are trying to find if windows is the best os you first need to .
#! see how you are to use os, after that is found out you can go to step#2.
#2if you want to use dos or like os then tou have choice of windows or linux>
#3 if you want to play games you have same options>
#4if you want to do graphis go to mac>
#5 if you still don't know you want out of os just buy them all>
and let your $ tell you what is the best

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?