Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows log on problem

Hi all,
I'm new here & looking to learn more about running a PC.I'm a bit of a luddite with tech stuff,but willing to learn.I can fix a bulldozer,but PCs scare me a bit!
I think I have a virus in my PC,which prevents me logging on to Windows.I press the Log in box & get a message like " Logging on" ....but then it instantly tells me "saving settings".
I cannot get past this problem.I figure if I could get to the Start icon,I would be OK...but the virus knows that too!!
I tried to start up via the Windows CD & tried to do a repair....but I still cannot get past the "welcome" window.
The last time I used my PC,I had run my anti virus & anti spyware,neither of which were fully up to date.The Anti virus picked up 2 virus.
Some info: Windows XP Home with SP1a.
: ASUS PC
: ClamWin Anti Virus
: SuperAntiSpyware.
: I have an old back up PC as a spare ,which uses all above programmes.I'm using it now.

Any ideas on a fix are much appreciated.Let me know if more info is required...
Thanks...Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows log on problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows log on problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try it the Microsoft way.

In reply to: Windows log on problem

Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Since this is XP HOME you should try SAFE MODE (see google) to log into that spare Administrator account to get the steps noted in the article done.

If safe mode fails then the pests have fatally wounded the OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Login Problems

In reply to: Try it the Microsoft way.

HI Bob,
Thanks for the info & link.
Unfortunately,I tried the Admin log in & it failed too....I can't get to the Start menu.

Any other thoughts.?
Thanks...Jim

Collapse -
Then it's a damaged OS.

In reply to: Login Problems

But it's unlikely you have a XP CD but in case you do the usual is to try a XP REPAIR INSTALL. If not you save your files and then make a fresh install of the OS.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.