HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows locks up viewing files

by JDB2 / January 22, 2005 12:15 PM PST

When I do anything other than view a file I've stored on drive C:, CF card etc. my system locks and I have to "end program". I recently installed a new scanner and didn't have this problem before installation. I don't know where to start but it may be related to right clicking my mouse to get the properties or delete commands to prompt. Please give me some direction.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows locks up viewing files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows locks up viewing files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 6:31 PM PST

you will need to give more information.

In the heading you say that "viewing" files locks up windows, but in your post you say when doing anything "other" than viewing a file your system locks up.

Which is it?

What types of files are you attempting to use? (Do anything other than view). What is the file extension, (ie filename.abc where .abc is the file extension).

What are you trying to do with the files, eg open them? double click them?

Can you open (start up) any other programs, eg from the Start menu > All programs? Do they work ok?

Does this problem occur only in Windows Explorer? Or does it happen on desktop shortcuts as well?

You mention right click. Are you saying right click doesn't work? What happens when you right click a file, do you get a menu? What happens when you try to select one of the menu options?

Have you tried to Restore to a point before you installed the scanner?

Mark

Collapse -
Yes. A corrupt image can lock up XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 9:56 PM PST

It's a bug that seems either is due to CODECs installed, a corrupt image or out of date XP OS.

I use the COMMAND LINE to delete such a file. Others may install a non-graphic dependent file manager like Gyula's Navigator to delete the file.

No cure is in sight for this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Options
by JDB2 / January 22, 2005 10:19 PM PST

What are my options? Reinstall XP? Try and do an update or could Dell help? I can't right click on anything in Explorer or the desktop. I can right click in Outlook Express but that is the only place I have found.

Collapse -
Option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Options

I provided 2 methods to delete the file in my post.

If you don't take the advice, then its likely you will get to reinstall XP.

Bob

Collapse -
Took advice
by JDB2 / January 23, 2005 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Option.

I downloaded Gyula's Navigator and can now rightclick the files. Is there a utility, in the program, that will help me find the corrupt file? There was mention of Codec's. I'm not sure if my problem didn't start when I accidently turned the power off while installing the scanner software. I'm not 100% sure which software I was installing at the time, scanner, utilities or Adobe Elements. I really want to avoid a complete Windows reinstall but I also want my PC bugfree.

Collapse -
Then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Took advice

Restore your system to a date before you installed these software apps.

Mark

Collapse -
restore
by JDB2 / January 23, 2005 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Then

I tried 2 different dates before installing the scanner and it wouldn't restore either date

Collapse -
XP is not bugfree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Took advice

I wish this wasn't true, but corrupt files can upset EXPLORER. It's why we look to alternative file managers (many out there) and command line usage to delete or rename such.

My personal experience with a Microsofty at a conference about this was to "not do that." That is, don't put such files on the machine...

Bob

Collapse -
Files
by JDB2 / January 23, 2005 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: XP is not bugfree.

I'd promise not to do it again if I new what not to do again. Are you telling me that I run this risk every time I scan an image?

Collapse -
Not a big risk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Files

In fact, what risk are we talking about. The image decoding in XP is "to spec". That is, it was written to decode/display images. Only recently has Microsoft begun to address the issue about how to handle a corrupt JPEG. The work in that area is incomplete.

While this is an issue in this OS, some expected a bug free system. Its not.

Bob

Collapse -
recent JPEGs
by JDB2 / January 23, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Not a big risk.

if I copy all of JPEG files to a CD and then delete them from the system will that help my issue? Is there a way to identify a corrupt file?

Collapse -
Who calls it corrupt?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: recent JPEGs

It can be some JPEG that Microsoft's code can deal with.

Did you try Irfanview?

I know I moved such files off my machine to keep out of the issue and for the day MS will fix this one. Your choice where to keep them.

Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved
by JDB2 / January 23, 2005 2:42 AM PST

Dell directed me to download ShellExView v1.10. I'm over my head talking about this, but I believe the program deals with shell ext. and lets you disable individual lines. I sorted the 250+ lines by "CSLID modified" and began working down until I located the bad line. It turned out to be a program to encrypt and secure files. Thanks for your help, and I still continue to be impressed with Dell's tech support.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.