General discussion

Windows Live Messenger, Error Code: 80070003

by alexislife / February 1, 2011 12:08 PM PST

Question Summary
I am getting other Sign in errors

Please provide your impacted Email address :
{removed email address}
Enter the exact error that you are experiencing :
Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Can you login to other Windows Live Services ?
Yes
Choose your firewall manufacturer :
McAfee
Choose your Operating System version :
Windows 7
Which version of Windows Live Messenger are you using ?
Version 2011 (15.4.3508.1109)
Are other users able to Sign in from the same computer ?
No

Additional Details
So just upon installing Windows live essentials 2011 i tried to log into messenger and it kept coming up with "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

the error code is: 80070003

ive tried to delete the corrupt contact cache but it doesnt exist...

please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Messenger, Error Code: 80070003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Messenger, Error Code: 80070003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you fixed the problem yet?
by BlackBart1955 / March 12, 2011 2:39 AM PST

I see that it's been over a month since you posted this, but I think I MAY HAVE an answer for you--if you haven't gotten it fixed yet.

My problem was with a different error number, 80040154, but it was the same message... "Temporarily Unable to Connect to Windows Live Messenger".

To fix that problem, I Googled "messenger 80040154" and I came up with the instructions found at http://ilikehotmail.com/solution-to-error-80040154-or-80040111-messenger/ . Actually, what I found was a different website that only had solution #1 listed. I'm showing you this one because it DOES have a second solution. It didn't work for me, but it may work for you, so I would try it, and if it doesn't work, try solution #2.

Here is what I did:
I got so frustrated that I wanted to completely uninstall Windows Live Essentials, and then re-install them. Then, once I clicked on Uninstall Program, it opened up a popup window that asked what I wanted to do. I had the option, "Remove one or more Windows Live Programs", or (the one I chose), "Repair all Windows Live programs".

I tried it and it worked. It MAY work for you. If it doesn't then let us know.

~ Barry

Collapse -
Windows Live Messenger, Error Code: 80070003 FIX
by OzTiger1050 / March 29, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

I got error 80070003 when signing in.
FIX

1.Uninstall WLE2011
2.Delete folders

Windows Live
Messenger
MSN Messenger
WLSetup.

From (You may need to seize ownership of the above folders.)
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

For XP change users to documents and settings, and appdata to application data, shouldnt really be relevant as wle2011 wont install on xp but prob may occur on older version.

3.Re-install and run.

This fixed the exact problem for me.
Enjoy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.