Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Windows Live Messenger Crashes on Startup

by MasterPenguin / July 14, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Currently running: Windows Vista Home Premium

Alright. So here's what's happened. Yesterday, I had used Windows Live Messenger, and it worked fine. This morning, I had used Windows Live Messenger, and it worked fine. But during the afternoon, it seems to have just completely stopped working. So first off (before I tell the errors), I tried running it in Admin mode, no luck. Changed compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2, and Windows 2000, still no luck. So then I restarted my computer, to see if that would work. Nope. Uninstalled Windows Live Messenger, reinstalled it with a freshly downloaded installer, still no luck. Now here's the thing, I haven't downloaded anything, installed anything, or visited any sketchy websites in between these times - there is nothing new on my laptop.

So here's what happens. I run Windows Live Messenger, and it gives me the following error: "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Alright, cool. Let's debug it. So using the Just-in-Time debugged that comes with Visual Studio 2010 Professional, it debugs it, and tells me this:

"Unhandled exception at 0x72f32ee5 in msnmsgr.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000018."

No clue what it means, but googling any of the above errors tells me nothing, there's no results.

So here's where I'm lost, I've tried all the standard ways of fixing a program, and I'm not sure how to proceed. So any idea's? :\

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Messenger Crashes on Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Messenger Crashes on Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I got exactly the same issue. Any help please...
by bingochen / July 24, 2010 4:57 PM PDT

I got exactly the same issue. Any help please...

Collapse -
I have a verry similar issue.

Yesterday at about 7pm I was getting ready to shut pc and went to check my hotmail by clicking on the email icon in the upper right corner of windows live messenger. It took me to a web page that asked me to agree or disagree to a new set of windows live terms of use. Just on the curiosity side to be safe i logged into my hotmail account on a different pc and got the same message. I went back to my regular laptop and agreed to the new terms of service.. It took me to the new-er looking hotmail page (which i'm not partial to) and i checked my mail. All was fine.. Closed the browser.. All was fine.. Went to sign out of Live messenger.. Got the error "Windows live messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close". Ever since then i can no longer get messenger to start properly. I tried a repair which didn't work, I tried an uninstall/reinstall which didn't work.. I did do a system restore back 4 days prior to the problem which did allow me to restart messenger and log in again.. "HOWEVER" when i log out again... It crashes and then i have to go and do a system restore again to get Messenger to start otherwise i get the same error over and over again. All my other programs are fine.. I can browse the web with no issues using firefox or IE8.. I can even log into hotmail and use messenger through the web based pop ups in the new hotmail system. I also tried logging onto messenger using my other pc with no issues. I am frustrated to no end with this as it's my work/business computer that it's causing a problem on. I have done full and do a regular virus scan using both avast and Housecall which showed nothing which i expect it would as i never open attachments, click links, or download things onto this computer...

System Specs:
HP DV5250CA
2 gigs ram
120gig Hard drive
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Upgraded from 2 a year ago). Origional install.
Haven't installed any software in over a year other than a standard windows xp secuirty patch 3 weeks ago.

Any one have any clues?

Collapse -
onboard with this issue
by darnellio / July 28, 2010 6:57 AM PDT

unfortunately, i cannot shed any light on this issue but can possibly provide a clue as it is happening to me as well. just the other day i logged into the 'new' hotmail and the webmessenger was automatically enabled. this caused the crash of the live messenger and i became unable to open it from that point on, recieving the 'windows live messenger has stopped working' message. i then did a system restore which actually worked; i was able to load live messenger properly. however, when i logged into hotmail it crashed again and will not open. i have no idea what to try...id like the live messenger to work as it always has, and have the webmessenger disabled when i check email at hotmail. ive already disabled those add-ons in IE (even though that didnt work), but i use chrome...and have no idea how to disable addons there (even though it likely wont work). from my limited point of view, there seems to be a conflict with the webmessenger that is activated when you log into hotmail and the live messenger. looking forward to some advice...

Collapse -
a solution to the issue
by strawberryxmilk / July 28, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

My msn messenger had the same exact problem since this afternoon and I have reinstalled and install again without any success. But I found this beta windows live messenger thing for windows 7 on the bottom left of the hotmail page, so I thought I'll just give it a try and it actually worked well. Here's the link to it, hopefully it will help. http://explore.live.com/windows-live-messenger-beta

Collapse -
Yes, Windows Live Essential Beta solved my problem
by bingochen / July 30, 2010 1:58 PM PDT

By installing Windows Live Essential Beta which includes Windows Live Messenger Beta, my problem is finally a past...

Collapse -
Totally Agree
by cmatch99-23616518244232830565828432888565 / July 30, 2010 7:00 AM PDT

I fully agree... I've tried basically everything i can think of short of a system reformat which i have no intention of doing to get one program running again, I've switch to using the hotmail web based one for now as it's better than no messenger.. Just barely though, I really miss offline messaging, sounds and email notifications... Live messenger and Hotmail work fine on my other PC it's just the fact that agreeing to the new terms of service agreement and activating the new hotmail system seems to have possibly done something to the messenger program on my work pc. One file, or setting must have been changed, added, or corrupted somewhere. Only Microsoft would be able to say what exactly for sure. It's funny that I've also noticed that with doing a system restore to get messenger running, the program will load up and i can open and close it at will with no errors providing I don't sign on to it, but once i do and sign out shortly after, it goes back to the crashing loop. Hopefully they will have a fix available soon as they have "We are experiencing technical difficulties with some of our backend systems. You may receive errors while logging in, posting new content, or using features related to your contacts list and address book in various Windows Live Services." posted up on the main help page for messenger. I've also seen a lot of posts on their forums (see link below) as well about the exact same problem. I'm just going to cross my fingers and wait for a few weeks to see if there's any change or a patch available... I'll also be watching their help forums as well.

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?forumid=775a2bc4-f894-4e9c-9f51-b155bbddf8d3

Collapse -
RE: Totally Agree
by TheSquirrelKing / July 31, 2010 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Totally Agree
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?