Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

"Windows Live Mail" is duplicating emails and folders

WLM creates duplicate emails

One day I found many of my email folders missing from my WLM 2012. I found all of them, with their messages, in a few Imported Folders in the message store (C:\Users\Janet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders). The messages were openable and readable.

Since these Imported folders did not appear in my WLM tree, I moved their contents (ie sub-folders) back to the basic "Storage Folders" from within Windows Explorer in C:\Users\Janet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage Folders.

Now I find WLM keeps recreating these folders as Folder Name (1) with all the messages intact, and leaving the original Folder Name (without the 1) empty. I kept deleting/moving/renaming to get each folder to appear only once without the (1) or (2) and with all the messages intact, but WML keeps recreating a new folder (1) or (2) with all the intact messages and leaving the non-numbered folder empty.

In WLM (Tree Pane and Message Pane), I am getting all my emails from those folders (X, X(1), X(2)) duplicated but with a "Message cannot be found" content. So for most of my emails, I have the original with the content intact plus one or two or three copies of the same email but with the "Message cannot be found" content.
Since there are thousands of emails, I was hoping there might be a way to simply select all the ones with the "Message cannot be found" content to delete them all in one fell swoop.

How can I get rid of the duplicate folders and emails?

I ran a repair, but it did not affect these folders.

All instructions I have found for rebuilding the Windows Live Mail message store seem not to be for WLM 2012 Windows 7 , as I do not have the options they call for e.g., Tools in the Menu Bar.

Thanks for any help!
Janet
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
No web-based email!
"Windows Live Mail 2012"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Windows Live Mail" is duplicating emails and folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Windows Live Mail" is duplicating emails and folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just checking.

In reply to: "Windows Live Mail" is duplicating emails and folders

Do you keep a backup of these folders and such? That way when it bombs like this you are ready. I usually help folk move away from Live mail due to the problems it has. If they don't want to move we chat about backup and restore. Here's a Microsoft forum about Live to ask about issues with this system. I haven't found Live email to be debugged yet.

-> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail?tab=Threads

Nod to Thunderbird and backup.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Just checking.

I have a thread going at MS WLM forum.
I have image backups for C disk.
System Restore (Windows) did not affect the Message store.
My last email-only backup is from too long ago.

In any case, I am looking for the answer to my questions, and am particularly interested in learning more about how the Message Store folder works in relation to the WLM tree pane.

Collapse -
Then you are cross posting.

In reply to: Reply

My advice is to re-double your backup efforts. It sounds like you didn't have a backup at this point.

Also, I'll repeat that Microsoft has some mysterious issues with WLM. Whereas Thunderbird development is nearly at a crawl as there's not much to do.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That is you email provider that controls that

In reply to: "Windows Live Mail" is duplicating emails and folders

Live mail is a client and receives what it's sent. My provider has periodically sent out emails saying they are doing work on their servers and emails may duplicate. I would contact your provider. That is especially the case if you have the boxes checked to delete for your providers server after it's downloaded.

Collapse -
Not relevant....:-(....

In reply to: That is you email provider that controls that

Thanks for replying, but the server has nothing to do with rearranging my personal Storage files. It only deals with Inbox,Outbox, Sent, Junk, and Deleted. The duplicate emails were a result of my manipulation of WLM folders in my Windows Explorer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.