Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows Live Mail

by vette1234 / April 19, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

I have Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail for some reason deletes all the deleted and junk emails and then repopulates the inbox with all the emails from the last month. This has happened 2 times now. When it does this I lose emails that we were saving. My Internet Provider is Time Warner (RoadRunner) so my email address comes from them and then to Windows Live Mail to the inbox. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it so it does not happen again? Is it a problem with Windows Live Mail or Time Warner (RoadRunner)? Thanks for any help.
Dell Studio XPS 435T
64-Bit OS
6.00 Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That depends
by Jimmy Greystone / April 19, 2014 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Live Mail

That depends. If you don't delete the messages from the Time Warner servers when downloading them, I could easily see this being an unintended side effect when using POP3 to get email.

You'd need to tell a bit more about how you get your email, such as POP3 or IMAP, are emails set to be deleted from the server either after downloading or upon deleting locally, etc.

Collapse -
WLM
by vette1234 / April 19, 2014 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: That depends

Using POP3. When I delete locally from WLM the messages stay on the Time Warner servers until I go to Time Warner and delete them. When the problem happened it deleted and repopulated on the WLM and Time Warner server both at the same time. Thanks

Collapse -
Then I would say
by Jimmy Greystone / April 19, 2014 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: WLM

Then I would say it's time to give Bob's suggestion a try and move up to a real email client.

Collapse -
Answer
I'll be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2014 1:31 AM PDT

WLM has me helping folk learn about Thunderbird. While I think Microsoft is trying hard I think it's problems still has us looking elsewhere as there is no access to the source code to fix it and Microsoft's support is not so great.

Big hint. Try Thunderbird. Take back control.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
At least part of this is due to settings
by wpgwpg / April 19, 2014 1:32 AM PDT

When you delete things from WLM, you can download them again from the server if the settings are such that you leave your messages on the server. That would explain the downloading messages again. I can't find a setting that would cause deletion of the "deleted messages" and junk email folders, so I'm wondering if there's someone else using your computer who's deleting these.

Collapse -
WLM
by vette1234 / April 19, 2014 2:52 AM PDT

Emails I delete from WLM should stay on the Time Warner servers until I delete there. When this problem happened it deleted from both WLM and Time Warner at the same time. No one else using computer when this happened. Thanks

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by orlbuckeye / April 20, 2014 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: WLM

there is a setting to delete emails both on your email server and in Live mail.

Collapse -
Answer
I use Live mail but have never had anything
by orlbuckeye / April 20, 2014 3:02 AM PDT

happen like that but I did get an email today from Roadrunner. The email said that they are upgrading and previously deleted emails could appear back it your in box. My email provider is Bright house but is Roadrunner. Here is the copy of the email.

Hello Road Runner Email Friend:

We want to make you aware that we are upgrading our email server over the next few days. These changes pave the way for exciting new features and better performance and reliability in your email. The majority of customers will have no impact at all but we want to make you aware of a few items.
Before the upgrade begins on Tuesday:
If you use Road Runner email on your mobile phone, some users have seen emails that have been deleted in the past reappear in the inbox after the upgrade. We've detailed below how you can prevent this. If you do not make the changes before the upgrade this week, or choose not to make the changes and end up with duplicate emails, you can delete the duplicates at your convenience.

iPhone Settings:
Select the Settings icon
Select "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
Select your RR mail account
Select "Advanced"
Under the "Deleted Messages" category, select the "Remove" option
If there is a check mark next to the "Never" item, select another period of time other than "Never." This will prevent duplicates from showing up in your inbox
Android Settings:
Select the "Settings" icon
Select your RR email account under the "Accounts" category
Select "Account settings"
Select the RR email you want to update
Under "Server Settings," select "Incoming Settings"
When you see the "Delete email from server" category, select the "When I delete from Inbox" option to prevent deleted emails from reappearing in your inbox
Click "Done" to complete
What you can do after the upgrade:
a. If you normally leave your email application open, and have trouble getting to your Road Runner email, please reboot your device and reopen the webmail application to log in to your email.
b. If you have the Road Runner toolbar installed, you will need to do the following to ensure you receive the upgrade:
Go to the toolbar and click on your Road Runner account to access webmail.
If this does not work, please uninstall and reinstall the toolbar
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or need further information about this update.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?