General discussion

Windows Live Mail

Hi,

My PC has downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail.
Is it a replacement for Outlook Express for Windows &?
Should I replace MS Office Outlook (not Outlook Express) with this Windows Live Mail?

Thanks

geoyar

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Live Mail
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Live Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Outlook Express.

Yes I noticed this as well. The last Windows Update offered me Windows Live Mail. I've refused the update so far because I don't need it or the extras it offers either. It surprised me that Microsoft has attempted to download and install their software this way because it is not a security or critical update, and neither is it an Operating System update. it is just an application.

I haven't yet found a way to 'hide' the update from my list.

In your case it seems WLM has been downloaded and installed. You're right that it is a replacement for Outlook Express, but you don't need to use it if you don't want to. If you use Outlook, and you are happy with it, then that's fine, continue using it.

Here's some more information on Windows 7 and Outlook, it might be useful;
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/303

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: Windows Live Mail installed

Microsoft pushes Windows Live Essentials 2011, either deliberately or by accident, as an important update for Vista and 7 users. I don't mind because I only use XP, but I think it's a bad thing. Anyway, you can uninstall it again from Control Panel.

But installing and uninstalling will cost a LOT of disc space (the $NTUninstall folders in Windows, the $hf_mig, and 2 System Restores) for a 160 MB download. It's outrageous.

Read about it in
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5012735.html

Anyway, your Outlook now has the Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector and the MS Outlook Social Connector Provider for Messenger. Don't you love that?

Kees

- Collapse -
Interesting.

My suspicions are confirmed then.

Thanks Kees.

Mark

- Collapse -
Outlook

I use Outlook 2003; I do not see Hotmail connector

- Collapse -
Re: Hotmail connector

CNET Forums