Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

Windows Live Mail 0x800CCC0F

by ScubaBosh / December 11, 2014 8:11 PM PST

Hello all

A few months ago I started having problems with Windows Live Mail. Whenever I click Send/Receive to fetch emails from my Yahoo Mail account after about 15 seconds I get an error message: "Unable to send or receive messages for the Yahoo.co (<username>) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Server: pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure (SSL): Yes"

I've been going over lots of different forums, trying every solution I could find. I have turned off my Norton 360 firewall, antivirus, email scanning, SONAR - every setting I could. I have uninstalled an reinstalled Windows Live Mail. I have tried fiddling with the port settings.

Interestingly if I add my account details as a second account, it will start to download all my emails no problem. I left this running overnight, deleted my original account in Windows Live Mail, and made this "new" one my main. When I press Send/Receive I get the same error message. If I add it again, it downloads again no problem. If I stop it and try and restart it - same error message.

Also of interest; I can write an email, click send, and it is sent no problem - it is only receiving emails I have issues with.

I'm now in a position where I have to add my account to download that days emails, drag them over to my main account, then delete the new one.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (6.1, Build 7601), and as stated, Norton 360.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Many thanks in advance.

ScubaBosh has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Mail 0x800CCC0F
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Mail 0x800CCC0F
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ScubaBosh

Collapse -
Re: WLM problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 11, 2014 8:43 PM PST

What happens
a) If you try it in a new Windows account?
b) If you try it in a different e-mail program (like Thunderbird)
c) On a different PC?

These simple experiments will show if it's something in your Windows account (than start using that new one), some WLM issue (then start using Thunderbird) or even something in your PC (then switch to Linux, go back to factory conditions or use another PC).

You realise that uninstalling and reinstalling WLM doesn't do anything to anythning (data in your profile, like a registry entry or something in appdata) the program created after the install?
In that case, option a) will be the solution and you can only continue using your existing account after a thorough cleaning of everything related to WLM in your current Windows account. That can be rather difficult (unknown registry entries, hidden files).

Kees

Collapse -
Many thanks
by ScubaBosh / December 11, 2014 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re: WLM problems

Hi Kees

Many thanks for these suggestions.

a) On a new Windows account, the mail works perfectly.
b) I've not tried Thunderbird, but may try it. Changing Windows accounts seems a bit of a pain.
c) Similarly trying it on a new PC gives me a perfectly working Windows Live Mail.

I'm guessing it's something in the registry. I think trying Thunderbird may be the way I go. If I don't like it or it doesn't work, I'll change my Windows account.

Many thanks for your advice - very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Error Msg
by Vegas_Bill / September 10, 2016 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Many thanks

I found that if I went back to the primary email account (mine is ATT Yahoo) and delete messages in the inbox, you will not have this problem - I had over 10,000 messages in my inbox because I have checked for Windows Live to leave the message on the server.

Collapse -
Solved problem or just avoided by blowing away inbox?
by Jex40 / September 10, 2016 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Error Msg

Hi, jex40 here, I've changed email server to favoo.com. You paint a similar scenario that I faced when I was having trouble syncing with 10,000+ in yahoo mail. It choked at odd times with the familiar error message. I finally migrated everything over to Thunderbird by Mozilla. At first I thought it was large files, or after n number of read files, I'm finally of a mind that WLM is choking on a message header that's kosher to everyone else, but it doesn't like.
I like T-bird on windows. Works well with Google contacts and mail, and that synchronizes very nicely with Google products on my Android. Running Windows 10 now, so can't/won't reproduce. Just know that I'll never use a microsoft mail client again, and have migrated from yahoo.com since they're selling the business. Still keep my jex40 account for any odd mail that might show up, but have everything now going to lorin@favoo.com (my own domain hosted by GoDaddy).
Best of luck, jex40 aka Lorin Boyack

Collapse -
Best advice was (B) Try another email client like Thunderbir
by Jex40 / January 28, 2016 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: WLM problems

WLM is trash. I did everything everyone suggested, since it's not easily reproducible some people think that they fixed the problem when they really didn't. All suggestions about turning off virus protection (from many forums besides this one) is, in my opinion, bogus, as no-one specifies exactly which virus protection product, specifically, is causing the problem. Norton Smart Firewall has been running and allowed vast amounts of POP3 email to pass from Yahoo.com to WLM, then stops. I deleted latest message, even deleted messages for two weeks before and after the point of problem, as well as transferring several very large email's with photo attachments.
Also, as far as firewall, no mention is made of the Windows (7) services - Windows Defender (which automatically kicks in when you dump your AV app) and Windows Firewall. All I got from all of these experiences was a lot of malware and endless hours of frustration cleaning up my system after taking down Norton Security.
Let's face it: Windows Live Mail and Windows Essentials on Win 7 is just a POC.
Thunderbird and mail.google.com (replacing Gmail) are working great, syncing with my new Android (Galaxy S6). I do not pair Google's inbox with T-bird as, when I did, it proceeded to download my entire POP inbox that I keep on Yahoo for safety purposes (only deleted if I delete from client).
As far as I'm concerned, this is still an open problem with WLM on Windows 7, the only fix is to dump WLM (and Essentials, for that matter, as it's just bloatware) and look for another client.
Calendar seems to be syncing between T-Bird and Google's calendar, Yahoo POP email goes to T-Bird where I delete or file in a RAID-1 folder (not using IMAP w/Yahoo) and Google Mail also goes to T-Bird, so I can manage it on T-Bird or Google inbox (or Android Galaxy).
The only problem I have to make me a happy camper is to sync contacts between the smartphone, google contacts, and T-Bird.

Good luck to anyone who persists on using WLM.

jex40 (aka Lorin Boyack)

Collapse -
Answer
Windows Live mail error 0x800CCC0F
by redfox9999 / April 16, 2015 2:44 PM PDT

Windows Live mail error 0x800CCC0F

I had the same message today, I solved it by going to windows mail, clicked on Tools, than on Options, than on Send, and finally under Mail Sending Format I changed from HTML to Plain text. , clicked on apply and OK and that fixed my problem, I was able to receive mail. It was apparently hung up on a very large e-mail I send out earlier. After the send and receive worked I went back into options and changed it back to the way it was earlier and have not had any problems since. Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Windows Live Mail 0x800CCC0F - Message
by Jex40 / December 15, 2015 1:04 PM PST

I had a similar error after I had problems with my primary PC and was using a backup system for a couple of years (time flies), was using Yahoo Mail via Internet Explorer browser. When I got primary system back online and attempted to re-synch with my YM inbox via POP3, got the error after downloading near 10,000 messages. Back and forth with Yahoo, I thought their server was throttling me because of volume, they said no. Further research showed that my WLM settings had reverted to my ""C" drive as my message store, which is a 100gb solid state drive, I had it pointed to a 2TB RAID array with a similar 'windows-users-Lorin-AppData-Local-Microsoft-WindowsLiveMail' directory tree. I reset the store folder to the RAID array and it's now downloading files like gangbusters, unfortunately I'll have some cleanup to do as it duplicated messages and I'll need to merge some folders. I should have guessed that earlier when I noticed that my solid state drive had a lot less free space once I got WLM back online.

Collapse -
Still having some issues
by Jex40 / December 15, 2015 7:19 PM PST

The change to the WLM message store location fixed part of my problem, but still got to 9600 messages and hit the brick wall with the 0x800CCC0F error. Might have an extra-large message there, tried the 'plain-text' fix reported earlier to no avail, need to sort through and merge 3 different directory trees and compare with YM Inbox. So while being aware of where your message store is actually located is important, I've still got some research to do in next couple of days. Sorry for the red herring. jex40

Collapse -
Answer
Try
by Nimeshdinu / December 18, 2015 1:07 AM PST

Try to uninstalling virus guard. It wont work by disable anti virus.

Collapse -
Answer
Download Windows Essentials
by Charles Delgado / February 11, 2016 3:27 AM PST

Go to the Microsoft Download website and find Windows Essentials -I have windows 7. Find Mail and download that portion of windows essentials only. Reboot. I know am able to download email to my client. Easy!

Collapse -
Lacks Substance
by Jex40 / February 11, 2016 10:33 PM PST

Could you please let us know what variant of Windows 7 you are running (Home/Pro/32/64), with what Service Pack, which version of Essentials you downloaded, and what, if any, Firewall software you are using? How long has it been stable? jex40

Collapse -
Need more info
by Gyrobobb / April 21, 2016 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Lacks Substance

Have you had any luck with this?

Collapse -
Gave up on WLM with Windows 7 - Using Thunderbird
by Jex40 / April 21, 2016 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more info

Hi, I completely gave up on WLM on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit last December, had queried the individual who "had an answer" about specifics and he hasn't responded. I've tried WLM 10 and 11 (going from memory here), have uninstalled/re-installed, disabled firewall S/W and even removed it (quite a mess to clean up afterwards, with all the Malware and such). This appears to be such an intermittent problem that I don't have an answer. The people who mention disabling AV in various forums invariable neglect to mention which software they're disabling... And there's always Windows Defender that kicks in if you pull your security/firewall software, that's not been discussed much.
I believe the problem to be 'corrupt' headers that WLM can't handle, and it chokes. Since I've been moving huge volumes of email from my POP server when it's croaked it's been difficult to nail down a specific message, I've gone as far as deleting two weeks of email on either side of where I got the error from the Yahoo POP server, with no luck.
I'm currently running Mozilla Thunderbird for POP and IMAP email, and Google Chrome for calendar. One task still on the list is to sync T-Bird address book with Google Mail, but haven't found time.
Personally, I don't think anyone has found the root cause of this error message, it will probably 'go away' with later versions of Windows and WLM, but I won't be there, so it doesn't matter to me whether they fix it or not anymore.
I'm currently cleaning out my Yahoo mail online POP inbox (several years of saved mail, have kept as archive backup) since they're selling the business. Debating whether to go completely to Google Mail as primary mail or find another POP server to replace Yahoo and just use Google Mail IMAP for calendar synchronization with my Android smart phone.
Best of luck to you, jex402 - Lorin Boyack

Collapse -
Didn't work
by Gyrobobb / April 21, 2016 6:49 AM PDT

I tried this. It won't permit downloading and installing if there is already a WLM installed.

Did you uninstall before you downloaded and reinstalled?

Collapse -
Answer
this worked!
by jhpierce / September 22, 2016 3:38 PM PDT

After trying a few things that never worked. I should of tried the easiest solution--go to your account tab (your name) Click and SIGN OUT and then SIGN BACK IN! right away I started to receive my emails! at least thats what got rid of this error for me. Good Luck!

Collapse -
Answer
SOLUTION TO ERROR MESSAGE '0x800CCC0F'
by Mick_from_Cov / September 24, 2016 11:34 PM PDT
THIS SIMPLE SOLUTION REALLY WORKS.

I was having the same problem. I've used WLM for years without any problems and then in the last month I found that I could send from WLM, but could not always receive, I generally got the error message : 'Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F' .

The solution was so simple.

1) Go to Yahoo.com mail
2) Hover the curser over the inbox, (mine had 18000 e-mails in it)
3) Right click the inbox
4) 'Archive all e-mails' (it moves them to the 'archive' folder just below your 'sent' folder.
(It appears to archive the e-mails in batches of 5,000 so I had to perform this 4 times).

The Results :

1) No more error message 'Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F'
2) It searches for new e-mails in a nano second.
3) CPU usage appears to have fallen also.

God knows why this works so completely, but it did for me and I hope it does for you also.

Cheers,

Mick
Collapse -
Clever solution (or work-around)
by Jex40 / September 25, 2016 11:05 AM PDT

Congrats, sounds clever. One might deduce that you still have a broken email in your YM archive folder, but if you don't reference the archived emails you will not have a problem. I stand by my assertion (admittedly without real proof) that WLM is choking on a message header that's fine with everyone else, but since WLM downloads in 'batches', tough to identify actual culprit.
With Yahoo's latest security breach admission (2 years late) and having already migrated to Thunderbird as my mail client, and no longer keeping any email (except most recent in inbox) on Yahoo I guess it's too-little-too-late for me. I currently only keep Yahoo Mail active to get any emails that I've not changed my email address for, will be shutting Yahoo down for good within a couple of months.
I currently am using a personally-owned domain on GoDaddy as my email server and keep all mail in folders on my home network, RAID-1 drives and backed up regularly. I'll no longer trust my email on public, hackable servers and don't keep any personal data in somebody's 'cloud' (funny name for secure storage, as clouds are quite porous).
Best of luck and thanks for sharing, I'm sure this will be helpful for many, Lorin Boyack (jex40)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.