Linux forum

General discussion

Windows Linux or Mac

by JoshHendo / November 16, 2004 2:07 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Linux or Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Linux or Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes. We use all of them. Soon? Solaris.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Windows Linux or Mac

Now that Solaris is free, I bet we'll have that in the lab or office.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Windows Linux or Mac
by Wellander / November 17, 2004 4:07 AM PST

Hi,
Sorry.
I still do not see your point.

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / November 17, 2004 4:37 AM PST

I really just want to know what os other people use and if they have used all 3 which one could do the most things.

Collapse -
by Anthony J Moulen / November 17, 2004 9:52 AM PST

Most is a relative term. Most what? Windows can run the most commercial software if you are looking for commercial single user software. Linux probably has the largest set of systems that it can run on of any OS. MacOS systems probably are the most user friendly. Best is a matter of opinion and position. For me Linux is best, for some other people it is likely going to be different. It is really a matter of what you want your computer to do, and what sacrifices you will make to get what you want. Every choice requires you to give something to get something. Dual boot gets you as close as you will likely get to getting everything.

Collapse -
by ritmo7 / December 7, 2004 1:40 PM PST

I do agree with Anthony J Moulen's post completely.

I few other things. I use Mac, Windows 2000 and Linux.
I have a KVM switch and I do not use dual-boot I have a server in my home office. This is the best way to keep data safe for the long run and does not have to require a lot of maintenance. Maybe too much for the less technically inclined, however
at this time in the software/hardware evolution easier that ever!

OS X is like 'automatic networking' with just about anything, so if you are rung OS X on one machine connected to a broad band router you will be able to access the other machines very easily at least from the mac if you don't want to spend the time to configure the network in the other direction.

WIN2000 is the lowest maintenance product by Microsoft if you want to stay in the 'Windows World' for your friends and neighbors or business associates. I can tell you from having all three available I spend as little time as possible on the WIN2000 machine even though it is fast and clean when I need it.

In the Linux department, after checking out one of the CD boot test versions, you have to take a look at Vector Linux. http://www.vectorlinux.com/

To me this is the best Home use desktop Linux out there. Not as well known but "rock solid" in my book.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5009&page=1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.