Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows\Internetlogs-delete temp files

Using the Explorer Tools/Options to Delete Files does not delete the thousands of these temp files. Neither does Disk Cleanup seem to identify them as temps or just does not find them.
There are some other temp files that are not deleted in those processes but they are tiny in number compared to the Internet log temp files. Each of the logs is 2033kb.

Twofold question, the first is it safe to delete these manually. The second is why aren't these deleted in the other processes?

Information will be appreciated-thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows\Internetlogs-delete temp files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows\Internetlogs-delete temp files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Files deleted. . .

In reply to: Windows\Internetlogs-delete temp files

Collapse -
Got just the answer you'll love........

Download and install FREE CCleaner from:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Before installing, go to this link for descriptions of each item to be ticked, Print out list to have on hand during set up install.
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/fileclean.asp
Amoung other things will empty all temps & index.dat (accumulated surf history). Under options , advanced, there is by default a box ticked "only delete temp files more than 48hours old". If you haven't installed any new software recently, you can untick this for first pass then re tick if you like. VERY broad ranging removal and (after 1st pass) usually under 3 seconds to remove all.
I think this'll make your day/month/year! Happy

Collapse -
Windows\Internetlogs-delete temp files

In reply to: Got just the answer you'll love........

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Have downloaded ccleaner twice, then deleted before use cuz I am a big wimp. If the clean activity deletes something that causes a system disaster, don't feel capable/knowledgeable enuf to recover without reinstalling system and all and suffering loss of too many goodies. I use System Restore (especially because of a ZA pro problem after any power outage)and what little I know about it seems to tell me it can not restore the items deleted with these cleaners.

Sooooooo-guess I will consider once again the download and use of ccleaner.

Thank you both again for your time and replies

have a good day

Collapse -
Fear Not! You can choose how much or little you remove...

by using the list. Generally (as the site claims) it is safe to use. Given your fear, I would untick all boxes except the ones you're confortable with.
In my own case (mostly Mozilla browser) I basically have the following: IE (ticked) ALL except auto-complete Forms (want to keep a few logon names&passwords). Cookies optional if you have some you must keep, they can be excluded from removal by manual entry where shown.
Explorer: Ticked ONLY Recent Docs& Search Assistant
System: Ticked ONLY Recycle Bin,Temp Files, Clipboard, and Old CheckDisk Fragments.
Advanced: NO Boxes ticked (THIS is serious stuff).
You can add more when you know what you like. Also look at boxes under Applications . Enjoy!! Happy

Collapse -
Also CCleaner has a backup feature...

In reply to: Fear Not! You can choose how much or little you remove...

for items removed. I save the backup to disk off the computer... never once had to reverse a cleaning. For me I check most everything except one ''Advanced'' section under the windows tab. I have seen no feedback about CCleaner causing system crash... may be but I have not seen it. Tobeach's method of gradually getting your feet wet may give you more confidence.

Best of luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
Deleting Cookies

Delete Cookies
Start - Control Panel - Internet Options Icon open - General Tab -
Delete Cookies. Next - Delete files - check mark box To delete all offline content - click OK
To view before deleting click Settings - View files.

Delete %temp%
Start - Run - Type - %temp% - OK
How to explain this?
Select all - Delete -
Delete may stop and list a file - deselect this file and click delete again. To deselect a file hold down on the CTRL Key and left click the file listed.
Click delete again.
Repeat this process until what can be deleted is deleted.
What can't be deleted leave alone.

Their is another location in Start - Run - Type -
c:\windows\Temp
but I have forgotten the correct way to use it, since I only deleted here once.
cg

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.