Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

Question

windows installer not detecting hard drive

by juvenilegenius / June 7, 2011 7:52 PM PDT

Hey, my pc was running fine but suddenly it switched off on its own, as if there was a power failure (it might have been due to a virus cause i just then had downloaded a file that contained a exe file that shut up my anti virus... but i've never heard of a virus killing hardware) on restart after the windows startup screen, a blue screen flashes and restarts again ..startup recovery doesn't work either .. when i try reinstalling windows using the disk . it doesn't detect any hard drive. .
i've tried to remove all the components of the pc and reconnect them but it still doesn't work ..
what's wrong ?? is my hard disk's life over .. please tell me as i had a lot of important data on it and (foolishly) no backup .. its ok if only the windows drive has to be formatted and the rest of the data is secure. .the hard disk is about 11 months .old
Pls help ..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows installer not detecting hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows installer not detecting hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 7:55 PM PDT

Could be the motherboard, could be the hard drive. You only know after you run the diagnostics for the drive or try the drive on another PC (via a USB to IDE/SATA cable).

The positive side: if it's 11 months old you're still inside the 1 year warranty period, so they will give you a replacement for free, if it's the disk indeed.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
possible answers
by wb2001 / June 9, 2011 1:39 AM PDT

I am going to take apart your question in reverse:
1) The warranty is only 1 year. Data is not covered.
2) Attempting or completing any reinstall or recovery (if the process even starts) automatically formats the hard drive unless you opted for a non-destructive repair. A format erases all your files. You lose all data.
3) You do not state if this is an HP motherboard series M2N78-LA. If so, it is imfamous for the NVidia controller chip to fry. This chip also controls the SATA ports and expansion ports. So, you lose access to the hard drive.
4) Get a SATA to USB adapter, and try to get your data off the drive to another drive. This will require you to remove the old drive.

The virus and power question. The virus was not executed. Just downloaded as a static file. The power failure could have been a spike.

Collapse -
Thanks so much but ...
by juvenilegenius / June 20, 2011 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: possible answers

Hey, Thanks so much for all your replies ..
sorry i couldn't respond for so long ..
i tried to connect it via usb but it doesn't detect the hard drive .. it shows that the driver successfully installed but the drive doesn't show ..
is it gone ??
m thinking of going for data recovery and then claiming warranty .. how exactly is recovery done .. would it need any special help from the vendor or can i do it myself somehow ???

i'd really appreciate if you could direct me to a thread on such a tutorial if possible .. also the vendor tells me that recovery can occur only using dvds as the backup drives .. is it true ??? i guess he's saying it to raise the cost of recovery ?? can't i recover it on another hard drive ??

Collapse -
pls help ..
by juvenilegenius / June 24, 2011 7:44 PM PDT
In reply to: possible answers

pls reply ..

Collapse -
Kees Already Gave Suggestions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 25, 2011 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: pls help ..

If the hard drive isn't being recognized, then it's probably time to replace the hard drive and reinstall everything from the recovery discs.. And yes, if the drive is dead, a reinstall disc is necessary. Most new computers allow you to create those recovery discs upon first startup, or anytime thereafter.. Did you do so? Or a few machines come with the operating system installer disc plus a separate driver disc.. Do you have such? And hopefully you've made backup copies of your important documents and other files.. Did you do that?

Then again, it might be the motherboard has failure.. There's no way to know completely till you attempt the fix.. Here, we start by swapping in a new HD and reinstall everything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks but still a but ..
by juvenilegenius / June 28, 2011 12:34 AM PDT

the problem is with the harddrive , i tried connecting it to another pc and it gives the same problem.. and when i ask about the recovery thing, i mean recovering data from the hard drive, the vendor says that when he extracts the data from the drive , he cant directly store it on another drive and would need to use a lot of dvds for the purpose. what i want to know is whether thats true ..

thanks a lot for your time.. i really appreciate it ..

Collapse -
Re: data recovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 28, 2011 12:41 AM PDT

That's a strange thing to say for any professional data recovery company. Of course they store whatever they can recover on a hard drive first and only then copy it to whatever the customer wants.
So it might be time to find a more professional recovery company than your "vendor".

Kees

Collapse -
Agreed ! A Good Company Can ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 28, 2011 3:56 AM PDT

...store recovered data on most any kind of media.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
THE FAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by greg9000 / June 9, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

Check on the fan okay it migth have stopped working and when ever its stop working the pc will get hotter and when its does it the pc automatically shot down its self immediatly okay

Collapse -
Answer
Re-Install WI
by faizanshakyboy / June 12, 2011 7:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not Appropriate For Windows 7
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 13, 2011 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re-Install WI

Among other things, see the link you provided and note that Windows 7 is NOT one of the operating systems mentioned for the WI 4.t version listed..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!