Question

windows installer issue

When I try to install some downloaded software,my computer says "windows installer could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." Never had a problem before.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: windows installer issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows installer issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Was an error number supplied?

Remember that Windows is not a sure thing about this. For example if someone installed some antivirus suite and it's blocking the install, we get to dig in and work around that. I've lost count of how many times I've uninstalled Norton and others to get this working.

Then again that new ZeroAccess is creating a lot of trouble.

I'll need more clues to offer anything other than try other browsers.
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. EXAMPLE link.
- Collapse -
re: windows installer issue

no, no error code; just the message i put in quotes in my original post......inside a pop-up box. The official total down load i was trying to install is <wmpfirefoxplugin.exe.>

- Collapse -
The problem with that message is

You can put that into google and there is no specific cause or cure (unless you count the "reinstall Windows" as a cure.

This is why I think we need more clues. Any will do, including how you tried another user account, wiped out FireFox and started a fresh copy install of FireFox.

Remember I won't repeat discussions you find with that error message on google because I hope there are more clues to work with so we can whittle it down.
Bob

- Collapse -
windows installer issue

I went to Microsoft "Fix-it" and found a download for ''''install or re-install problem".It found the problem and fixed it. Thanks for all your effort to help.

- Collapse -
BTW,

That was the first hit on google with a Microsoft support KB article here when I put in that error message on google.

It's never a sure fix which is why I go for more clues. And I can't be sure if PC owners have learned this basic research skill (google with the error message.)
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. The "Microsoft" answer.
- Collapse -
Answer
more on my computer

I am on an HP TouchSmart 320-1030 running windows7 64-bit. The program I am trying to install is Cisco Web-Ex Meeting for Firefox.

- Collapse -
Try Web-Ex for other browsers.

Given that this can be costly to fix, I'd try other browsers.

- Collapse -
re: Windows Installer issue

i tried for google chrome.....no go. The problem is that my daughter has on-line schooling whose live classes are on Web Ex Meeting and they say to use Firefox. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: Windows installer not correctly installed

Try to re-install it from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

Be sure to choose the right version:
For Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
x86 Platform: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu
x64 Platform: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu

For Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit platforms):
x86 Platform: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe

For Windows XP 64-bit Editions:
x86 Platform: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x86.exe
x64 Platform: WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe

Kees

CNET Forums