Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows IE is jealous of Firefox?? What about email?

by Sarah / July 3, 2004 2:13 AM PDT

I downloaded Firefox the other day and am delighted with it -- slow dial-up is faster with Firefox.

BUT, even though I've set it as my default browser, every time I visit a website a Windows Explorer pop-up tells me this website is inaccessible, please try again. It goes away quickly, can be clicked off, and doesn't actually intefere with the connection. But it bugs me. Any way of telling IE to go away except when invited? I may use it again some day (and have already downloaded the patches for the new virus) -- meanwhile, Firefox is just fine.

Firefox doesn't have an email program. Recommend Mozilla's Thunderbird anyone? I don't like Outlook Express.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows IE is jealous of Firefox?? What about email?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows IE is jealous of Firefox?? What about email?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows IE is jealous of Firefox?? What about email?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

The popup from IE is likely some leftover Browser Helper Object that is in IE. The usual Anti-Parasite Suite of Adawre, Spybot, Cwshredder and a pass of Housecall might automatically eject it. Get LSPFIX and how to use LSPFIX handy in case the malware diddled with the LSP.

Hint use http://www.google.com to find these FREE items.

About Mozilla. It's nice too, but I'll leave others to comment on that. In parting, it's not exactly like Outlook of any version. Some like it, some don't.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Windows IE is jealous of Firefox?? What about email?
by Sarah / July 3, 2004 4:23 AM PDT

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded LSP-Fix -- easy, quick! -- and it reported no removables. I get the sense that there's something in the internet set-up I can do to get IE out of my hair, but damned if I can find it.

Outlook Express refused to let me open an attachment the other day -- a cartoon from a reliable friend -- and was quite imperious about zapping it. Norton let it through and it had sailed through our Postini filter. Of course, it was an anti-Bush cartoon, so I'm assuming the Justice Department is working closely with Windows. (!!)

BTW -- I'm now working on a Dell Optiplex, a terrific machine, but one which is geared for networks and I'm not a networker. That network capability tends to foul things up now and then. But XP makes up for it...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?