Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Home Problem

by spookybum / July 14, 2005 9:32 AM PDT

Yesterday, I was using Internet Explorer, looking around for some things and all the sudden, my computer reboots on it's own. It went to my bios and made a weird noise. After a few seconds of idling, it started ..but then it went to this screen saying that my hard drive had some kind of error or something. This has happened before, so I skipped it. It was about to boot into windows, but then stopped and rebooted again. This time, after checking my memory, it asked if I wanted to reboot regularly, so I did. Rebooted on its own. It had a few options, including "Reboot Using Last Working Configurations" or whatever and Reboot into Safe mode. None of these worked.

So today, I bought a copy of Windows Home. Before, I was running Windows XP, but I didn't have $300 to buy it. So everything was fine, reformating went kind of quick, windows installed, all that. The problem I'm having now is that, whenever I reboot, it goes to a black screen and after 3 minutes, these little squares appear at the bottom of the screen. Within a few minutes, it looks like its loading something. It takes almost 20 minutes to finish this, then it just loads Windows.

How do I fix this? Everything was installed from the CD. Whenever it reboots, it asks if I wanna reboot from the CD.. Should I do this or no? It's becoming a big pain, waiting 20 minutes to restart :/ Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Home Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Home Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try This
by littlegeneral / July 14, 2005 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Home Problem

First of all,
Can you get into safe mode now?

I have one question. Do you no how to go into your BIOS?
Well, i would try changing your boot sequence and make your hard drive #1. Just see if that works. Reboot your
computer and press "F2" to get into the BIOS
Just give this a try and see if that works.

Collapse -
Try This
by Themisive / July 15, 2005 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Could it be the Hard Drive failing - e.g. how old is it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?