Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows hangs, restarts, BSOD and other errors... need help.

by manuelitros / February 27, 2007 2:21 AM PST

Well, I?m having some errors since last week, my computer randomly hangs and restarts, then I got BSOD telling me "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "STOP: 0x00000024" and yestarday I got a new message, it stoped working and I got a black screen saying:
"INTEL(r)865G PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS
Build number: 1235 PC 14.14 07/18/2005 09:53:19
DECOMPILATION OR DISASSEMBLY PROHIBITED"

I first tought it was the power supply or the RAM, did some memory tests and nothing wrong, now I think maybe my motherboard has a bad capacitor, but I inspected it and it didn't at a glance.
When it hangs I can?t restart the computer inmediatly, I must unplug it from the power source and then it may start.
Do you have any ideas?

Intel 865GBF motherboard
Intel 3.0Ghz HT processor
2 SATA hard drives
Windows XP Pro SP2
The computer is 3 years old

Thanks in advance,
Manuel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows hangs, restarts, BSOD and other errors... need help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows hangs, restarts, BSOD and other errors... need help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Check Windows Event Viewer
by Decorte16 / February 27, 2007 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Looks grim.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
What type of error messages are there here? HDD errors?

Collapse -
here it is...
by manuelitros / February 27, 2007 1:38 PM PST

Thanks for your answers Grin

here's what the event viewer has to say:

1st error:
Error code 10000050, parameter1 9af888b4, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 80549516, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2nd error:
The Logical Disk Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

3rd error:
The Client IP-IPX service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

next error:
The Nsynas32 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the device specified.

next:
The Sentinel service depends on the Parallel port driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Any more ideas??
thanks,
Manuel

Collapse -
Here are some suggestions for you:
by Decorte16 / February 27, 2007 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: here it is...

First: Ensure that your pc is virus/worm/trojan/Malware free.
Second: run the disk check utilities in my computer. Right click C: drive > properties > tools. Click check now under error checking. Check both boxes and let Windows restart and do it's thing.
Third: When that is done return to the same dialog box and defrag your HDD.
Lastly: run SFC /SCANNOW (start > run > sfc /scannow) to reinstall system files which may be corrupt. You'll need your full cd of Win XP

Keep me posted,
Decorte

Collapse -
Some odd entries there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: here it is...

"The Client IP-IPX" means you would be on a Novell network. Not many do that today. Maybe a clue is there such as machine age or other.

The Sentinel item is telling as well. I rarely see that except for work computers where we have those protection dongles.

The outlook for repair is indeed grim but I take it you are not going to save the files first but try to repair the filesystem and OS. If so, please tell me so the path you choose will get some answers.

Bob

Collapse -
again...
by manuelitros / March 27, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

Well, I updated the sound and video drivers and it worked for 3 weeks without giving any problems, so I tought I had found the problem, but 3 weeks after I'm finding I have the same problems again and is getting even worse, I'm not able to boot until I try it several times. I think I'll do my backup and reinstall.
BTW CHKDSK didn't even work, it hangs on step 4.
Thanks all for your answers.
Manuel

Collapse -
didnt give up...
by manuelitros / March 29, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: again...

while I did give up I'm still looking for some answers, if anyone has a clue please tell me...
well, I have my backup ready and I'm ready to reinstall windows, BUT, I'd like to know why sometimes when it restarts by itself I'm not able to reboot, I mean, the motherboard doesn't even starts, I dont get the INTEL message and it wont start, in order to restart I have to disconnect everything from the pc and then open and disconect the wires inside, if I dont do this it wont start, I know its weird but this is what I have to do.
Every time turn on the regulator to turn on my pc it aparently powers up but then shuts down, and it turns on once I hit the on button on the pc(this is normal to me, since the beggining when I bought it, it was like this), but when it restarts I can turn on and off the regulator and the computer wont do this.
this week i've been receiving BSOD regarding drivers so I think its a windows problem but the other issues get me confused. I aprecciate your help.
Sorry if I'm not so clear, but its kind of hard to explain this for me.

Thanks again,
Manuel

Collapse -
Don't reinstall Windows!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: didnt give up...

"the motherboard doesn't even starts, I dont get the INTEL message and it wont start"

This is not caused by XP. So fix your hardware and then your issues will likely go away.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?