Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows hang up

by Omar V / November 30, 2004 11:25 AM PST

I have a problem with my Windows XP (SP2), first my PC (P4 1.4Ghz, 256 MB, 80GB) was hang up once in a day, then two, and now freezing frequently, i do certain things, such run virus scan, spyware scan, change RAM, check HD for errors, and don't found any wrong. Today i found something rare, when i ran VirusScan or other program like this, inclusive Defragmenter, the Windows not freeze while the program its running, other thing it's not everytime windows hang up on the same time or process. Could someone can help me, and sorry about my english, a apreciate all the help can bring me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows hang up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows hang up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows hang up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 6:04 PM PST
In reply to: Windows hang up

Hi Omar. Your English is fine, Happy

Did you have "hang ups" or freezes before you installed SP2? If so, you may want to restore back to before SP2 was installed and see if that clears the problem. If so, then it possibly means your computer is not yet ready for SP2 and needs a bit more work done to it to make it ready. There is help and advice on these forums for preparing a computer prior to installing SP2.

If you were still having this problem before you installed SP2 can you identify any particular thing the PC does each time it hangs? Does it hang at certain points in a program, or at certain times of the day? Anything which seems common to the problem?

What happens when it hangs? Do you get any warning, or any onscreen messages? How do you solve it when it hangs, and what happens when you solve it?

What voltage power supply do you have for the computer?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Windows hang up
by Omar V / December 1, 2004 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Windows hang up

Thanks,

Actually i installed SP2 about 2 months ago, since then don't have any problem, until last week, also, i check device manager and no problem its found, the problem was no periodically or every certain point or time, simple freeze, and the funny thing it's when i ran virus scan (no try with other program) don't have a problem (freeze, like this moment when i wrote this message), but if i close virus scan the problem come on, not inmediatily but come, and to solve this i need to restart the PC.
Other problem it's, when i boot my PC the first time of day, i need to restart 3 or 4 times to start Windows, almost every time the first boot of the day, don't pass the POST check, the second time freeze on Windows start up screen, and on the third or four time i can enter to windows, but then come the freeze again (not same time).
Thanks again, for your help. If this can help you, my pc it's on LAN (Windows 2003 Server), i have Optical Mouse (recently i receive message of low battery), i have 2 more HD (40 GB both), and a DVD Recorder.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?