Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Genuine Advantage Plug-in

by rgfitz / September 8, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

I know this plug-in isn't required but I tried and failed to install it. I use Mozilla Firefox and the Mozilla directory is in Program Files where it belongs and does have a plugin directory.

The Windows Genuine Advantage Plug-in Installer shows:

Installation Failure.

Plug-in installer could not detect the appropriate browser
installation directory. [Error: 0x80070002]

Just curious if anyone else has the problem and found a fix.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Genuine Advantage Plug-in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Genuine Advantage Plug-in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The Windows Genuine Advantage plugin is required for access
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 1:51 AM PDT

"The Windows Genuine Advantage plugin is required for accessing some content in the Microsoft Download Center."

Microsoft has continually tweaked their download center so for this site I just use IE.

Your choice on that but that is my solution.

Collapse -
by rgfitz / September 8, 2006 2:47 AM PDT

I get the same error if I set IE as my default browser.

What I mean by not necessary is that I downloaded the file I wanted using the ''manual'' WGA where Microsoft identified my OS and returns a code that I copied and pasted where directed prior to download.

This all must be fairly new.

My computer is a new Dell Dimension E510 with XP Home.

Collapse -
IE doesn't need that plugin and ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: IE

It's not compatible with IE so I would be hard pressed to see how I could get that error in IE.

Yes, I'm now confused and stumped.

Collapse -
IE again
by rgfitz / September 8, 2006 5:35 AM PDT

It finally dawned on me what you were saying. Microsoft IE doesn't need the plug-in and it is only for non-Microsoft browsers like Firefox.

I was using Firefox and downloading UPHClean from the Microsoft site. All of my updates automatically use IE so this is the first time I ran into the WGA plug-in.

Anyway, I am still working on a fix just out of curiosity.

Thanks for your replies.

Collapse -
by john_mcdoogle / September 8, 2006 2:57 AM PDT

I make absolutely no claims as to the legality of this method, because I'm honestly unsure if it's violating any license agreement or not.

Anyway, this site has a method for bypassing the annoying, and pointless, WGA checks to download things from Microsoft's website.

Once again, your mileage may vary, there may be potential legal issues with this, and it may not even work at all.

Collapse -
WGA diagnostic
by rgfitz / September 8, 2006 4:20 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?