General discussion

windows freezes on boot up after installing new video card!?

ok i have a :
P4
512 ddr
160 gig hd
i have interated video.
i installed a radeon 9250 pci 256. turned on the computer and everything looked good then it got to windows, the blue bar that slides across the bottom moved once then stopped. i just hit the power button and then it wants me to boot in safe mode.
I took the card out the computer runs fine; i thought it messed up because of the cd, so i installed the cd and everything put the card back in and it still did not work, i whent into bios and looked around, i really dont know what to look for exactly but i into graphics something under the advanced tab, and i changed it from auto to pci ext (the other option was pci-e ext) that still did not work, ive looked on ati for more drivers i found them but it will not let me install them unless the video card is in and i cant install them because i cant get into windows, so that sould not be the problem. please someone help. it possibly could be something in the device manager i need to unistall?? i dont know please help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: windows freezes on boot up after installing new video card!?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows freezes on boot up after installing new video card!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
windows freezes on boot up after installing new video card!

If you have intergrated video you will have to go into BIOS and disable the onboard video. John

- Collapse -
do you know how exactly?

i go into bios but i really dont see anything that says onboard video or anything. there is something called a graphics controller i think and i put it on pci-ext when it was on auto, but that did not help either. ON atis web site they say some thing about motherboard drivers, but its a new computer and i i called the company and they said no new drivers were avialable, its an augsburg 1394 motherboard.

- Collapse -
ok

if your onboard video is agp then you must select it to AGP in your bios.. in other words AGP is accelorated graphics port.. now.. it might be an onboard video with an extension bracket.. first try the AGP for you r selection there in your bios
good luck buddy

- Collapse -
Hmmm.......New computer...on board Graphics

and BIOS shows pci-e ext. Appears to me you have a computer that requires a PCI-Express video card, and not a regular PCI video card.

Doing a search on "Augsbury motherboards" turns out the only thing I can find are those with a 915GAG chipset Pent4 processor in a LGA 775 socket. The Intel (Augsburg) Motherboard with 915GAG chipset has a GMA 900 on board graphic system, but also has:

2 PCI conventional bus connections
1 PCI-Express x1 bus add-in card connection
1 PCI-Express x16 bus add-in card connection (for video card)

You need to check it out closely to see what you have, and I believe it is with the 915G chipset. Your Radeon 9250 card is for conventional regular chipsets that do not have an AGP or PCI-Express x16 slot.

The Radeon 9250 PCI card cost around $100. I would suggest getting one of the following if you want to stay near that price range. With Nvidia you have less problems with drivers.

Nvidia GeForce 6600, 128MB PCI-Exp = $113
Nvidia GeForce 6600, 256MB PCI-Exp = $129
ATI Radeon X600, 128MB PCI-Exp = $100
ATI Radeon X600, 256MB PCI-Exp = $114

The Radeon X300 and the GeForce 6200 are the lowest end in price and performance and are not recommended

- Collapse -
James.......

Go to http://www.belarc.com/Download.html
and download their short little program. It will tell you eveything about your computer...motherboard, including what is inside and installed in your PC. Then print out a copy or save to your 'favorites/bookmark'.

- Collapse -
belarc

belarc is very cool , thanks for the link. anyway this is that it has under display which is the only thing that i can see that has anythign to do with onboard video..

Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
[Display adapter]
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]
EMA 16.1 [Monitor] (16.1"vis, December 2004)
EMA 16.1 [Monitor] (16.1"vis, December 2004)

so i guess what i need to disable it the express chipset family, which i can uninstall , but if do that and it does not work will that mess up my comuter

- Collapse -
it is a pci vid card for a pci port

the computer i have just has 2 pci ports and no AGP slot and no pci express slot, i wish it did, but i got the card at best buy cuz i already had $45 in best buy gift cards so i fuigured i could get an ok vid card an dnot pay that much so i got it, iv installed other pci video cards before but never had any trouble with any of them. when i look in bios.. humm actually ill put another post here in a lil bit so i can tell you guys what i see , thanks for the repls though guys

- Collapse -
James...

Could you please post the brand name and model number of your computer. What did Belarc give about your motherboard?

CNET Forums

Forum Info