User Name SMARTY\Administrator
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 140.73 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 470.64 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I opened Outlook Express and saw e-Mail an acdsee newletter of which I am a subscriber. I attempted to open the same when I got Windows Security warning, "your System may be at risk. No firewall is enabled" I immediately got a warning from Avast, "Caution a virus has been detected". This occurred many times before I was able to shut down.

After restart the firewall kept on cutting off and when I tried to view the settings I got message "We are sorry due to some unidentifies problem Windows cannot open firewall settings".

I resorted to System Restore and that seems to have rectified the problem. I however do not trust it. I have been considering for some time to use a standalone firewall. I have heard of Zone Alarm. I however do not understand firewalls except that Windown Firewall only blocks what comes in but not what goes out.

Can you advise me as to the best personal firewall to use that will not conflict with Windows Firewall?

I would like to read Grif's thoughts on this subject.

Thanking you in advance.

standeb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Firewall Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Firewall Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Run A Full System Scan Since The Problem?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 5, 2006 2:34 PM PDT

At this point, I would do two things, just to make sure the machine is free from the virus.. First, I would run a full system scan with your Avast program. Next, to get a second or third opinion, I would run one of the online scans from the links below:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

If everything comes up clean, then we'll move on to the firewall question..First, you need to understand the problem you just had has nothing to do with your firewall. Since you opened the mail, then it's YOU that allowed the "possible" virus to have enabled itself. Since you allowed Outlook Express to have access to the internet to download you mail, no firewall would have prevented the issue from occuring.. A good virus scanner or other e-mail scanner plus caution when dealing with e-mail messages are the best preventative measures when dealing with such issues.

That said, even the Windows XP firewall can be configured to prevent outgoing attempts.. (It's not as easy to do so as with other firewalls such as ZA, etc. but it can be done.) Whichever firewall you use, it WILL conflict with the Windows XP firewall UNLESS you disable the XP firewall. It's not hard to do but it is important to verify that only one is operational.

My preference it ZoneAlarm as I've had very few problems with it, but some prefer others such as the one below:

Kerio
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

ZoneAlarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_za

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Have you ran a full system scan since the problem?
by standeb / May 6, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

Hi Grif,

Grateful for you reply. I did Avast,Xoftspy, and Adaware scans an found nothing. I did two online scans with the first of your recommendations and found a host of infected files which were subsequently removed.

I have yet to see how the system functions as I have only just completed the last scan with the results that the system is free of infection.

I well appreciate that by opening that e-mail I invited them in. I did not expect that from a trusted site like acdsee.

With respect to the firewall thanks for the advice. One thing though. I read user reviews from Cnet that Zone Alarm can be annoying.

I shall be obliged if you can advise me on the best settings for the same as I may want to disable the Windows firewall in order to use the same.

Meanwhile everything seems to be alright and I hereby express my heartfelt thanks to you for your kind responses.

standeb.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm Settings...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 6, 2006 9:15 AM PDT

Only you can decide which firewall is best for you and whether ZoneAlarm is "annoying". Generally, ZA can be run in its "default" state.. At the very beginning, each time you open a program that attempts to access the internet (Internet Explorer, OUtlook Express, Avast updates, etc.), an alert box will ask you to allow" or "disallow" access for the program. For those programs which you are familiar, choose to "Allow" and place a CHECK mark in the "Remember this setting". You'll also see a few which you aren't familiar with should also be given full access such as "Generic Host Process", "Run DLL as an App", and possbily a few others. If you have any questions about some of those "allow/disallow" decision, check on Google or post back here on the forums.

There's no need to disable the Windows Firewall till AFTER you've installed ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm generally disables the Windows Firewall automatically during the installation, but verify it by opening the Control Panel/Windows Firewall icon and make sure the OFF option is selected.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Settings.
by standeb / May 6, 2006 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: ZoneAlarm Settings...

Hello Grif.

Compliments to you. Thanks for you reply. My interest in Zone Alarm came after reading some of the other posts. I see that it is very popular with most members in the forum and with moderators. I now recall that I had a security program from Windows that was similar to Zone Alarm some time ago.

Although I like Windows Firewall, after your explanation I am now more minded to go with Zone Alarm.

I will try it and if not satisfied which is doubtful I will keep it.

Thanks you again for your much valued advice and God Bless.

Standeb

Collapse -
Good advice.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 6, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: ZoneAlarm Settings...

In addition to Grif's excellent advice can I add that I noticed you said you used XoftSpy anti-spyware.

Some time ago the XoftSpy program was listed in the Spyware Warrior's list of ''Rogue'' anti-spyware applications as suspect. Spyware Warrior have now de-listed XoftSpy, and I have included below what Spyware Warrior now says of XoftSpy;

''Note on XoftSpy: XoftSpy was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives (1, 2, 3, 4), questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2), including exploitation of the name ''spybot'' by affiliates. Earlier versions of XoftSpy were also Ad-aware knockoffs. (There was clone of XoftSpy named SpyBurn, but that application is no longer available.)

Over the past few months, XoftSpy has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising), revised its license text, and released a new version of XoftSpy (version 4.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard XoftSpy as ''rogue/suspect'' anti-spyware.
''

It may be that you have a newer version of XoftSpy which is ok, but if you have an older version, it may be a suspect application.

I would, in any case, tend not to use an application that has once been listed as rogue.

The Spyware Warrior's site is;
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Mark

Collapse -
Good Advice
by standeb / May 8, 2006 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Good advice.

Hi Mark,

Grateful for your thread. It was very interesting. I read all of it. Never knew Xoftspy was on the rogue list. Did'nt know there was a rogue list.

I have the latest version of Xoftspy. Seems to work well. I had my doubts about that program because I noticed It has never been mentioned in this forum or anywhere else.

Good advice. I shall be looking for another security program.

Thanks again.

standeb.

Collapse -
You have Ad-Aware, which is a good start.
by Paul C / May 8, 2006 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Good Advice
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?