Windows 8 forum

Question

windows firewall disabled

My windows 8.1 firewall has been disabled, possibly by some malware that has since been removed. nothing that I've tried seems to be able to turn it back on. I'm really frustrated because this in turn seems to effect new apps using or loading as well as other things. Does anyone have any suggestions to turn it back on. I've tried all the standard ways as well as other suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows firewall disabled
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows firewall disabled
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Some antivirus suites turn it off too.

In reply to: windows firewall disabled

There are so many prior discussions on topic that to reduce the causes we need more detail. What malware did you remove and what antivirus/other software is installed?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Always list your standard ways.

In reply to: Some antivirus suites turn it off too.

Collapse -
Sharmon5 - Clarification request

In reply to: Some antivirus suites turn it off too.

My Windows 8.1 Firewall has been disabled by what I think might have been some malware installed at one time.All of which have been removed. I have ran many malware removal programs, all show to be infection free, including Microsoft security tool. My webroot antivirus full system scans show nothing there either. In my control panel, add/remove programs, show nothing there that shouldn't be. I've went too run / "Services.msc" and set windows firewall properties to automatic, as well as "Base filter engine" set to automatic as well as service status running. I've reset browser settings. I've cleared all history & cookies from both browsers - Internet explorer & Google Chrome. I've cleared any managed add-ons and search providers from Internet Explorer that aren't supposed to be there. I can't think of anything else to try, yet I can't even manually turn on windows firewall.

Collapse -
Webroot appears to have a firewall.

In reply to: Sharmon5 - Clarification request

So my bet is they turned it off.

Collapse -
Windows 8.1 Firewall turned off

In reply to: Webroot appears to have a firewall.

I thought of that too. So I uninstalled Webroot, tried to turn back on the Windows Firewall, it still wouldn't turn back on, so then I reinstalled Webroot. Besides this happened long after I installed Webroot anyway.

Collapse -
Since it's damaged.

In reply to: Windows 8.1 Firewall turned off

And we can't tell by what. Ask Microsoft how to avoid reinstall. For now, use Webroot's own firewall offering. You only need one.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 8.1 firewall turned off

In reply to: Since it's damaged.

Bob, I judt tried to run Windows Defender. About half way through it stopped and an error box popped up saying My signature has been replaced. What does that tell you ?

Collapse -
Is that the exact wording of the error message?

In reply to: Windows 8.1 firewall turned off

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.