HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows firewall

by denret / April 2, 2011 7:05 AM PDT

I recently installed a D-Link router with Network Printer option.
To keep the printer from periodically winking off, D-Link customer support recommended that I disable the Windows Firewall feature.

It seems that this may cause more trouble than it cures. Is disabling the Firewall something I want to be without???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: firewall.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows firewall

Seems a rather strange advice to me. But you're rather vague about what happens.

1. What exactly is 'periodically winking off'? Every 10 seconds, every hour, everytime you try to print? Every third page?
2. Does it cure your problem?
3. What trouble does it cause?

Kees

Collapse -
Firewall
by denret / April 2, 2011 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: firewall.

Thank you for your response. I'll attempt to answer your questions in the order asked:

1) Periodically means about 1 in 4 times that I turn on the computer. (cold boot) It
refuses to print, even though the printer shows available in the Share Port App.

2) It appears so far to have cured the problem. (It may take a week or more to actually
confirm this.)

3) The trouble that it may cause is more my concern. If I have no Firewall protection,
am I vulnerable to malicious attacks and viruses??

Apparently this problems is systemic with the D-Link 628, as the they did not hesitate with the recommended solution.

Collapse -
Re: firewall
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Firewall

In the instructions for SharePort on http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_outline_index.asp?page_id=35937657 I read nothing about disabling a firewall. Still, if it only works flawlessly without one, it might be necessary.

If you feel unhappy without it, try if a free firewall like Zonealarm or Comodo (no need to use the paid product or their antivirus which they keep offering) doesn't interfere or can be configured not to interfere.
Personally, I very much like Zonealarms system tray icon, which shows if there's any incoming or outgoing traffic. And I like that it ask me permission for any new application that wants to connect to the Internet.

Kees

Collapse -
Considering the router
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2011 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows firewall

Considering the router likely has a firewall of it's own, there's little point to having the Windows firewall also running. However, I have to agree that this seems like rather strange advise. Either there's a rule to let printer traffic through the Windows firewall or there's not, it's not like there's an in between on this.

If the router has a firewall of its own, then their advice is good, but for the wrong reasons. If it doesn't have a firewall of its own, then they're completely full of it.

Collapse -
Firewall
by denret / April 2, 2011 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Considering the router

Thanks for your response.

The router does have firewall protection, and it is implemented.

Collapse -
Vista Firewall and D-Link Router
by denret / April 5, 2011 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Considering the router

Disabling the Windows Firewall in Vista did not work. Router still failed to recognize the printer...sometimes.

I experienced the problem from a Desktop and a networked Laptop, so I began checking printer and router options only. I noticed that the "automatic on and off" options in my printer (Canon I560) were disabled. I know I originally had these set to "on", I can only assume that Shareport disabled them upon installation.

I'm going through my evaluation with this idea now. Only time will tell if it was successful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.